Glowing Manifold Tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal1

Dec 3, 2010
Central NJ
Hey guys- I have a three year old QuadraFire 4100i in my family room, other than a couple of broken firebricks, not much to complain about. Just a quick question, noticed the other day that the manifold tubes inside the box were glowing red. Normal condition or signs of overfiring? No other part of the stove was red, just the tubes inside. I turned the damper down immediately and the tubes stopped glowing after about ten minutes. Just don't want to overfire this baby! I don't want to burn the stove too cool either, I want to get the most BTUs I can out of it (safely). I am burning ash, oak and maple and using the start-up control sparingly for only about 5-10 minutes at start-up or trying to liven the coals back up during morning reload. Any comments would be appreciated.....Thanks very much!

Welcome to the forum Arsenal1.

You are probably seeing the secondary combustion, which is normal and this is what makes that stove efficient.

Just a word of caution though. Ash burns well with short seasoning time but a year is best. Maple needs a year of drying and oak needs 3 years! By drying time, that means after the wood has been split and not after it has been cut. Wood won't dry worth a hoot from the ends of the logs so it needs to be split to dry properly. And don't just accept what a wood seller tells you. Most really do not know what dry wood is and will just tell you it is ready to burn. Not so 99.9% of the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.