Good temp to burn a Jotul F3cb at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
My folks installed this Jotul last December after 20 years with an old smoke dragon. Every time I visit, the stove is running between 275-325, which to me seems pretty low. I asked them tonight how hot they've ever run the Jotul and they said 400-425. Are these temps hot enough to reduce the concern over creosote build up? As far as I can tell, the wood is well seasoned. Their chimney sweep said all looked good on his last sweep. So tonight, I took the liberty of playing around with the stove to see if I could get it any hotter and eventually I got the temp at the top of the stove up to about 475-500. At that point, my father started to complain about how hot the house was getting so he asked if I'd shut it down - "see, this is why we don't run it any hotter," he said. Tell you what, the secondaries were going great for a good time after that but the temp dropped to about 425.

My main concerns are whether my folks are getting the stove hot enough frequently enough and that getting this Jotul to 500 takes much effort. Are these concerns warranted?

Last edited:
I have the castine/f400 and the sweet spot seems to be in the 475-550 range. I've had it cruse up to 650, but I try not to do it often. I'd be concerned about the flue if it only saw a top end of 325.

The temps your folks are running the stove at are low. I ran the F3CB at 450-650F. Actually it would have been hard to run it much below 400F except when just on coals.

I have the castine/f400 and the sweet spot seems to be in the 475-550 range. I've had it cruse up to 650, but I try not to do it often. I'd be concerned about the flue if it only saw a top end of 325.
I have a castine f400 and it likes to run at between 450 to 600, runs nicely at these temps especially when very cold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.