Goodbye to wood burning!! I will miss it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The stove I was going to look at tonight was sold to someone else before I got a chance to look at it. This is probably good because I'll get to do some more research on what is really going to be good for us. Thank you to all who responded to my farewell to wood burning thread so far, I've learned lots from all of you guuys by reading threads for endless hours in the past two winters. This reminds me why I felt at home here in the first place. :)

weatherguy said:
I started off with pellets but the stove just couldnt heat the whole house, I suppose I could have bought a bigger one but I would have to put out over 5k and the pellets were scarce that year and expensive. As long as you get the right size stove you should be ok, just more maintenance involved, I had to clean and vacuum mine twice a week, sometimes the pellets jammed up and Id wake up to a cold house, thats a problem with the particular stove I had.
Good luck with yours, did you have any left over wood?
I had very little wood left, you're welcome to swing by and grab what's left if you're nearby. PM if you're interested there is really not much though.

certified106 said:
Wow I went camping for 4 days and came home to two members saying they had to quit burning wood! Sorry to hear what you are going through but glad to see that you are making the best of it. I was just thinking man I wonder when he is going to get the defiant installed so we can hear how he likes it and now we will never know. I wish you the best with the pellet stove. What type did you buy?
Well I didn't really quit burning, just doing it differently now! :cheese: I have not bouight one yet but sort of want something in a cast iron jacket possibly with enamel if it is in good shape and the price is right. I will not be buying new, because to me $3000 goes a long way. I'll be looking for a nicely used stove with all working parts. The Encore will be at my inlaws so I'll get to see it in action, just not in my own livingroom :-/ .

Whatever I get, the price has to be right in order to fit our budget.

Please check out the edited version of the original post on this thread. I explain why a chimney wouldn't be a viable choice, as much as I would have loved to bring either the Dutchwest or the Encore along with us to this new rental. It was sad to see them go.

Status
Not open for further replies.