Got my moisture meter, someone may end up having to take it away from me...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Dec 31, 2007
Got my moisture meter today, and man I can't stop playin around with it :)

So my wood that I bought seasoned ranges from 19-24%, the wood from the maple I cut down in august is about 23% and the green red oak i just bought is between 28-31%. BTW, I split every piece in half that I checked and tried to check in the middle.

Man this thing is cool, now if I can just stop testing every piece before I put it in the stove...... eh 9 volts are cheap ;)

SPED said:
Got my moisture meter today, and man I can't stop playin around with it :)

So my wood that I bought seasoned ranges from 19-24%, the wood from the maple I cut down in august is about 23% and the green red oak i just bought is between 28-31%. BTW, I split every piece in half that I checked and tried to check in the middle.

Man this thing is cool, now if I can just stop testing every piece before I put it in the stove...... eh 9 volts are cheap ;)

What brand did you buy? Do you have a link? Thanks!

put the moisture meter down and walk away...
That is unless you really want 3 cords of kindling :)

kolbyTheDog said:
That says it only goes up to 40%. Could wood be any more moist than 40%? ?

Hi everyone- first post here at the Hearth forum. I just found this site yesterday and I'm enjoying it very much.

Yes- some types of wood can exceed 40% MC. Cottonwood is a good example- it can go as high as 160% MC according to this study:

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-37.html

We have a lot of Cottonwood in the wooded areas around our house. I'm a relative newbie at harvesting firewood (though I do a lot of woodworking as a hobby) and I'm not great at identifying trees that aren't oak, beech, or pine. Last year we lost some trees back in the woods during a storm. One was about 18"DBH and was dead-straight for about 50' to the first branches. I figured it would make good firewood so I cut it into smaller sections (with a bowsaw) I could lug back to the house and then cut with my electric chainsaw. The wood felt so heavy and dense I figured it would burn beautifully once it was dry. Fast forward a year and a half and I now have a bunch of completely dry, light-as-air, useless cottonwood in my wood shed. It makes good kindling anyhow.

I now know a bit more than I did then, but i still get cottonwood confused with other trees, especially in the winter.

Josh in CT

Cottenwood is the only wood I turn down. Even free and delivered. Don't want it.

johnsopi said:
Cottenwood is the only wood I turn down. Even free and delivered. Don't want it.

Don't move to Montana as that is about all you will get up there cottonwood and pine.

[quote author="Fugazi42" date="1201035655]Yes- some types of wood can exceed 40% MC. Cottonwood is a good example- it can go as high as 160% MC according to this study:

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-37.html
[/quote]
Great link- thanks.
But I do not understand how wood can have a moisture content of 160%?
I'm sure it's just that I don't understand the meaning of "moisture content", but how can anything be more than 100%?
(I am not a blonde, either)

Cearbhaill said:
But I do not understand how wood can have a moisture content of 160%?
I'm sure it's just that I don't understand the meaning of "moisture content", but how can anything be more than 100%?
(I am not a blonde, either)

It is because the moisture content of wood has been defined as a percentage of the dry wood and not as a percentage of the total of the water and wood.

I just ordered the same one! you sold me on it! what do you think of it overall?? and, maybe someone can tell me a good range for moisture to try to stay withn on splits?? 20-25%?

Andre B. said:
It is because the moisture content of wood has been defined as a percentage of the dry wood and not as a percentage of the total of the water and wood.

Exactly.. From the site:
Code:
 The standard method of determining moisture content is called oven-drying, and the moisture content of wood is expressed as 
a percentage of the oven-dry weight. The oven-dry weight is determined by heating wood at 105C until a constant weight is reached. 
The formula used to figure moisture content is:

IW-OD
            MC = ------  x 100
                  OD

where
      MC = moisture content in percent
      IW = initial weight of the wood
      OD = oven-dry weight of the wood,

So if a piece of wood weighs 2 lbs wet, and we oven-dry it and find out the dry weight is 1lb, the original MC was 100%.

Josh

got my meter in last week. keep playing w/it too.
I feel like a wood geek now. but i'm learning a lot about wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.