Granite slab for hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waltdog

Dec 20, 2011
North Idaho
The pre fabricated hearth pad I purchased in November has some loose tiles and is generally coming apart/ delaminating. While waiting for the supplier to figure out what they will do for me I thought about a piece of granite as a hearth pad with maybe a sheet of micore 300 underneath. I have a friend who owns a granite shop and the remnant yard is full of niece pieces.

Anyone use a piece of granite for a hearth pad? I would be using 3CM thick with a 1/2 micore 300 underneath

That will look great, once you figure out all the details and codes, send us apicture when you get done.

There was a post a while back where one member did exactly that. He used a huge piece of custom cut granite, and it looked phenominal. Check for it in the search box...

woodmiser has his equinox on granite, it looks sharp.

Attachments

• index-1.jpeg
    index-1.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 2,219
Dairyman said:
woodmiser has his equinox on granite, it looks sharp.
That's the one I was thinking of......I'm more of a rustic fella myself, but even though that hearth is contemporary it's one of the nicest ones I've ever seen. One of the cleanest looking installs, too. That damn thing belongs in an art gallery!!

I also prefer the look of NH granite in a bit more rusticated setting.

You have a friend that owns a granite shop? Geez. It's not that I'm friendless, but everybody else seems to have better friends. :)

I just this half hour finished (mostly) a black granite tile hearth floor extention. The new insert won't require heat protection for the floor but I had a piece of .5" micore so I used it anyway. It's almost flush, anyway, with the .75" wood floor.
Not much applicablility for you, but the tile was 5 bucks a ft2 at the Depot.

my brother took slate pieces and put them together in a mortor marking out a corner, coming out about 6' in an arc. looks good. must have done it 15 years ago and still looks great today.

cass

Status
Not open for further replies.