Grass Catcher / Lawn Sweeper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Looking for something to pick up grass and leaves to be used as mulch/compost later on in the garden. I have a Bad Boy Pup 60" commercial ZTR mower that I mow 3-4 acres with...

Never used a lawn sweeper before. The deck mount catchers from Bad Boy are outrageously priced. Anyone have something they use and are satisfied with?

The lawn sweeps I like but you need to let it dry out for a day then come back and sweep it.

smokinjay said:
The lawn sweeps I like but you need to let it dry out for a day then come back and sweep it.

Seems like a lot of extra driving with a sweeper...this mower discharges pretty far so I'd have to back-track over what I've already mowed to collect the clippings.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:

Seems like a lot of extra driving with a sweeper...this mower discharges pretty far so I'd have to back-track over what I've already mowed to collect the clippings.

Yep mine mower throws very nice rows so your back tracking on 1/2. Now with the bagger style and green grass is heavy stuff thats why I would rather let it dry a day before collecting. (Kinda like hay)

I had a sweeper and found the clippings picked up better the next day when they dried out and got lighter, too.
and if it rained in between it didn't pick up too well.
Plus it was cutting the lawn twice.
This last mower I bought, I got the three basket option.

I've ended up using it to mulch leaves too although that works a bit better when they are a little wet, but not too wet ( clump in the tube)

billb3 said:
I had a sweeper and found the clippings picked up better the next day when they dried out and got lighter, too.
and if it rained in between it didn't pick up too well.
Plus it was cutting the lawn twice.
This last mower I bought, I got the three basket option.

I've ended up using it to mulch leaves too although that works a bit better when they are a little wet, but not too wet ( clump in the tube)

Your right there if it rains you just have to wait til the next mowing! lol Been to dry around here to worry about it. Yesterday was my first mowing in over 6 weeks it was well over a foot deep but looks great with the fresh cut!

Take a look here:

Cyclone Rake

Pricey, but worth it. I've had mine for about 9 years, not a bit of trouble, and it does the job. I sound like a shill for Cyclone, but I really like the thing, and it's a local company, so I like to recommend it.

I think they will fit a ZTR.

Status
Not open for further replies.