Great Stuff Fireblock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nivkbecjer

Feb 19, 2011
baltimore, md
Does anyone know if Great Stuff Fireblock in the orange can can be used directly touching a wood stove pipe? I build an outdoor sauna and i need to seal the hole around where the pipe emerges as it is getting my stove wet everytime it rains/snows. If not great stuff, what else is out there that i could use? Any help is appreciated, especially since they are calling for rain tomorrow and continuing for several days! Thanks _ nick

nivkbecjer said:
Does anyone know if Great Stuff Fireblock in the orange can can be used directly touching a wood stove pipe? I build an outdoor sauna and i need to seal the hole around where the pipe emerges as it is getting my stove wet everytime it rains/snows. If not great stuff, what else is out there that i could use? Any help is appreciated, especially since they are calling for rain tomorrow and continuing for several days! Thanks _ nick

nivkbecjer:

I don't think you want to use the Fireblock, because if memory serves me, Fireblock expands on high heat to totally block off air exchange. But in that sense it is a "one-time" use only. It just wouldn't last. You could try Rutland Stove Cement. It can take the heat, but can it take the water? I'm not sure. I'll have to check my references and get back to you.

Well i am not worried about blocking air exchange, i want to seal the opening completely. Are you saying that on continued use it would continue expanding and break apart? The sauna is a DIY canvas structure out of an old army tent, so the great stuff seemed perfect as it would be easy to apply to a non rigid surface, assuming the stove cement will withstand the water, would it be possible to apply in this situation? It seems like i would need some sort of caulk-like substance.

Put a storm collar on the pipe. That should divert the flow of water along the pipe. I'm not sure what sealant will stand up. Is this single wall or double wall pipe? Got a picture or two of the pipe exit from the inside and from the outside of the building?

Status
Not open for further replies.