Had the flue cleaned.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YZF1R

Mar 3, 2009
Southeastern PA
Well, my first year is over and the liner was cleaned. I'll do it myself from now on but I wanted the installer to do it the first time so he could check his work and make sure all looked fine. We burned about three cords. I am happy to report that we got approximately one cup, yep, one cup, of gray powder out of the 21 foot liner. Two year seasoned wood is part of it. And not to get alarmed at what looks like Dante's Inferno. It's supposed to look that way on a non-cat stove. Let her rip!

This was possible in large part due to the generous and large amount of knowledge here at Hearth.com. A heart felt (or should I say "hearth felt") thank you to all here! :)

Steve

Congrats. Looks like you nailed that first year of burning.

It appears that you are ahead of the normal "Newbie" learning curve. Good on ya. This place should be required reading for all new stove purchases.

That sounds great Steve. You surely are not the typical new burner! lol You have it right with the good seasoned wood being the key to good burning and not much to clean from the chimney. Congratulations.

btw, my wife took the cap off and looked up the chimney....and said clear chimney all the way. She said there was just a tiny bit of fly ash on the cap as she removed it. So it appears our chimney does not get cleaned again this year. I love it!

Backwoods Savage said:
, my wife took the cap off and looked up the chimney....

That reminds me - I need to call Dennis's wife to see when she wants to sweep my chimney :lol:

p.s. - I got some stacking to do when she is done at your place Dennis. ;-)

Jags, I wondered how long it would take for someone to pick up on that. lol

Sorry though, she will check the chimney but not clean it and I do not allow her to stack wood (she is an awful stacker and thinks you just throw the wood together...).

Backwoods Savage said:
Sorry though, she will check the chimney but not clean it and I do not allow her to stack wood (she is an awful stacker and thinks you just throw the wood together...).

Dang it. There goes that plan. I guess I need to find a couple of city kids that need a "country" experience. :)

Thanks guys. I totally agree Hearth.com should be required reading for new burners. I was fortunate to have well seasoned wood and then to also learn from here to keep it that way, and not to get worried about what looks like an inferno burning.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.