Hamers.....Way too much ash to handle in my 25-PDV!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're simply seeing two "models" of pellets - Ultra Premium and "Premium" - but worlds apart in quality

I have the ultra premium this year and they are not as advertised!

I have burned both in previous years and there was a difference but since I believe Hamers are all produced at the same plant now there really is no difference!

I was shocked when I purchased THEEEE Somersets from my local Lowes. My O'Malleys produced a cleaner burn. I think the lowes and Home Depots get the pellets that they won't send to the stove shops. They have to run batches that don't make the cut or the raw material wasn't up to snuff. Just my opinion.

I stumbled on the Sets at a Lowes just over the state line, a few years ago, and hauled away 2.5 tons, much of which I still have and use on those low, single digit nights. They do show up unannounced and you just have to grab as many as you can haul away. Nice score! Hope they live up to the expectation.

This thread just goes to show that what was good one year, can be a dog the next. You have to burn a few bags or do your research here so you don't get screwed sitting on a ton or more of crap.

Reactions: jjones139
This Hamer's pellet quality is becoming equal to the grassy knoll in conspiracy theories. I called the company and they took a shipment of the wrong bags, even if you look at their website the bag says Premium Grade. It is all the same pellet from the same factory.

http://www.hamerpellet.com/ Call them and ask, they answered all my questions 888-468-6637

Ok, 1st let me say that my manufacture date on my pallet of Hamers is 3/14/2012. I called CS at Hamers and got this explanation to my HEAVY ASH concern, difference in name on the bags and the nearly 2 year old ton of pellets:

First, the CS person was somewhat surprised to hear that I purchased pellets that were almost 2 years old. He went onto say that stove shops sell back their unused pellets, which then are quality checked and resold to larger stores. I told him I bought mine at Lowe's and his reply was, they are one of our larger stores who recently bought many tons. He then said again, are you sure that was the manufacture date and I simply replied YUP!! He never said it, but I can assume he was shaking his head in disbelief or disgust!!!!

Second, I asked about the difference from PREMIUM / ULTRA and he said there is only one pellet they make. He then added there was a misprint on bags and the company decided to still use those misprinted bags rather than discard.

Third, he couldn't offer any solution to the HEAVY ASH issue, but did point to the fact that it very well could be since the pellets were quite old and may have been in contact with moisture, which could very well give off excessive ash. I politely told him I was very happy with the HEAT, but the ash sucked!!!!

In all.....I don't think I learned much at all by calling except the fact that he was quite surprised about the date of my pallet of Hamers!!! I think this site offered more of an explanation, but either way I have a ton of HOT ASHY HAMERS, which I will mix together with my ton of Prestos, which I AM EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH!!!!!

previous posts on this forum say that the plant denies there are any differences between the two pellets.
Well, I started with 3 tons and they're great, and labeled Ultra Premium. Now we get these reports of lesser quality labeled Premium. Frankly, I just don't care anymore. But none of this seems to be helping their brand...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I started with 3 tons and they're great, and labeled Ultra Premium. Now we get these reports of garbage labeled Premium, AND the ash claim is different (1% vs 0.5%). So they toook a shipment of improperly printed bags and it just happens to correspond to the timing of garbage pellets AND local dealers report not being able to get shipments (including mine)? There's a lot to explain...

I agree, but think about the fact that my pallet of Hamers has a manufacture date of 3/14/2012 and they are in the PREMIUM bag. Something doesn't sound right and truthfully we will probably NEVER get a true answer. Oh well....I read so much about Hamers and when the local Lowe's got an entire trailer load I jumped in knee deep as well as many others. I think what bothers me the absolute most is the fact that I had a ton of Prestos in my garage that I truly enjoyed and instead of getting another ton of Prestos I elected to go with the Hamers because of the HIGH RATINGS!!! I guess there's always next year!!!! I really can't complain because I've only had my stove since 12/2/2013. I'm a newbie and learning thanks to this great site and it's members :)

Also really liked Presto's this year - but can't get either now!

In my area here in NY you can't find a bag of pellets in a 50 mile radius. Stores are telling customers that they are expecting delivery, but don't have an exact date. Propane and Fuel Oil are skyrocketing! Let's hope pellets remain somewhat reasonable.

In my area here in NY you can't find a bag of pellets in a 50 mile radius. Stores are telling customers that they are expecting delivery, but don't have an exact date. Propane and Fuel Oil are skyrocketing! Let's hope pellets remain somewhat reasonable.
Just checked two stores near me yesterday as well (Philly suburbs). Lowes had just received AWFs (not a fav of mine) and saw only limited supply. HD had maybe a dozen bags of Lee Energy Natures's Energy (dirtiest pellet I've ever burned). And that was it! Dealer out of Hamer's. Cold weather took a toll...

Maybe 6 or 7 just to try.....you go too much and you're throwing heat out the vent....Might not make a difference but it's something just to try. Last year's Great American pellets were the ashiest I burned in a long time....hated them.....so I know where you are coming from! The Hot Ones burned great for me the other week when I bought 5 bags though.

I bumped up the LBA to 5 from 4 last evening and it has made a world of difference. Let's hope this lasts......I'll report back after the weekend :) Thanks so much for the TIP!!!!

I bumped up the LBA to 5 from 4 last evening and it has made a world of difference. Let's hope this lasts......I'll report back after the weekend :) Thanks so much for the TIP!!!!

Hope it works out for you. I found out today that about above 7 you are sending heat out the vent so if you are still having problems, you still have some room to bump it.

Hope it works out for you. I found out today that about above 7 you are sending heat out the vent so if you are still having problems, you still have some room to bump it.

Much appreciated!! I'll be sure to let you know by the end of the weekend. Have a good one....

Reactions: slvrblkk
Nothing wrong with blending pellets. I mix the good with the bad 1:1 or 2:1 and wind up with something that always seem to work. So go right ahead and blend those ashy HH with the PLs and have a ball!

I am new to the pellet stove world. Purchased a Harman accentra insert this year (2014). The first ton I burnt were energetics with no problems, very little ash. My sister has been burning Hamers for years and refuses to buy anything else. So I purchase two tons. The amount of ash is ridiculous. I have to clean the stove weekly and dump my ash pan every two days. My pan is suppose to hold a ton of pellet ash. My sister called Hamer yesterday and they are saying when they have complaints about high ash it usually turns out to be an airflow problem with the stove. My stove is brand new. What kind of airflow problem could I be having. I don't have to regulate the airflow in my stove. And if it was an airflow problem, then the energetics would have given me more ash. The problem is with the pellets. I don't know if I will try them again. I am early buying two ton of energetics in May. Also what does LBA stand for? Still trying to get my stove to perform the way I expected it to. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
LBA stands for Low Burn Air, it may be the pellets....it may be the stove, it could be both.
every installation is different, your stove in my house will perform different. How does the flame look with the Hammers? Are you getting soot? Is it a lazy flame?

I get some soot on the glass but nothing more than I would expect. With my stove I don't regulate the air flow. The flame looks fine,Not sure what it's suppose to look like. It looks like a fire. My flame is always large. Unless I am burning in room temp then it gets smaller. Ijust think it is funny that Hamer says its a air flow problem. I guess we all have air flow problems. Just like someone else posted how can you possibly
produce the same pellet all the time when you are using waste product to produce the end product. One little thing changes and you have a different end result.

I live right outside of Phila and I was wondering what kind of pellets people from this area are burning and where do you get them. I have been doing some research and the only pellets I can find in this area are Energetics, Hamers, Easy Heat. I would love to try some of the others brands like Turman, Le Crete but can't find them in this area. Any info would be greatly apprectiated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.