Pellet Stove hypochondriac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks, I still need to check out a video or other tutorial, showing what I'm getting into: need to cut wires? How is augers attached to motor? Etc?

Well THAT is a sobering thing to read -- thanks for the warning! Down in the tube, m I've been only using the 90 degree needle pick. Sounds like I should keep it that way.
The tube wears out just from the pellets passing through so you don’t want to “help” wear it out. This was mine before I replaced it.

Attachments

• A8DF8A1D-D495-4D70-A27C-248A54247572.jpeg
    A8DF8A1D-D495-4D70-A27C-248A54247572.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 139
Auger motor change , 2 wires one to harness other to vac switch. Loosen motor set screw with hex head forgot size, no need to fully remove.. Be sure set screw is on flat part of motor shaft when installing . Bingo..

Reactions: Ssyko
Ok so “dreaded” was my word to add color to the statement..... If it’s that intermittent, you’ve probably got a ways to go before you’ll hear it more often. It might be wise to wait until the off season to tackle it especially since it’s an insert. Its a nuisance thing. It won’t hurt it to run it IMHO.

(A) Wow, I'd really like it if I though I could wait until spring; but I presume I have at least another 1/2ton to go, or more, by then; If I could defer pulling the stove out for a flue and TSP cleaning, etc. AND the auger. It's running fine now, but...

(B) If no harm to keep running it, that's good news. I presume worst case is the auger stops, the motor tries to keep going, somehow burns out the control board????

I second Harman Lover 007. One thing I've done is to run up the stove temperature to burn off some of the build up. I get a big flame going and turn up the distribution fan to full for half a day. That usually cures it on mine for a month or more. Running the stove at a low burn for weeks at a time promotes the creosote and clinkers.

BTW, the brake hone tool is a good idea and what I used on the auger tube as well. I pulled the auger for the first time after 12 years. I found no need to replace it since the bearing was smooth and spun freely. I simply cleaned it up with a wire wheel which took an hour or more.

(C) Running it at temp level 2-3/4 instead of 2 and I think the auger scraping is gone, and the Rutland spray may be a contributing factor as well. Uh, I know this is stating the obvious, but I'm going through pellets faster: before I GUESS that I got about 25 hours/bag, I think I'm down to about 20 now.

(D) OK on the brake hone, but I need a new one. I'm restoring five antique racing bicycles this winter, used the hone on the seat tubes so the seat posts slide in nice, just a few seconds on each frame; and the hone is shot. Not used to being used on steel, I guess.

By the way, an additional point. I was fiddling with the stove and found something that impacted sound. Sometimes the hum/moan during the auger cycle would be accompanied by a resonating buzz, very metallic. I was worried that it would be impossible to diagnose on an insert -- to have it on & running means it's inserted into the fireplace, no way so examine what's going on back there. Well, I found that one of the food-out side access panels, the one on the right without any switches or other controls behind it, must have been resonating again the side of the stove; so, I am running it with the panels open about 1/2", much quieter, if not aesthetically perfect. I also notice that the right panel's hinge/pivot has a little play in it, unlike the left side one. I presume there is no gasket, or rubber bumper, to prevent metal-to-metal contact betwixt for and frame due to the heat involved?

Update: Well over a month and no squeak. So, running it at a higher temp, or the Rutland creosote remover, or a combination did the trick in the short run. Might make it to a summer cleaning to attempt to tackle the auger. That said, after a cold spell the sun came out, going into the low 40'sF today, and at 80F in the living room I backed the temp dial form almost 3.5 down to 2.75 and perhaps it might cool off int he house a degree or two. Still mulling over if I want to string a wire and have a thermostat at the other end of the room (my third, as the boiler and the A/C each have one now) and experiment with Room Temp. Meanwhile although the insert makes more faint odd noises than my digestive tract after a three-burrito lunch, and they come and go, it seems to be working fine. Thanks for the help!

I sometimes hear a faint squeal, or think I do...I'll run it on high for a while.. I wait till next cleaning , use a mini wire brush to clean the auger end and tube.. also periodically use creosote remover spray on auger end before I fire it up..
Well put on the speedo for few hours and let the stove rip when it gets cold.!!