Pellet Stove hypochondriac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tiger

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2014
Seabrook, MD (DC suburbs)
Just like every other product I buy, the Harman Accentra taunts me with issues or at least issues buried in my head. Actually, it has been working great. But, I hear things; are they incipient problems? The feed cycle always has been a bit loud for my tastes and especially noticeable after chugging the combustion motor last winter which makes that part much quieter. A couple of days ago, trying to enjoy quiet reading time near the stove, I swore I heard an extremely faint high pitched whistling, which wife wife thought was my imagination. It went away after a couple of hours. Now, a couple of days later, I swear I am hearing a very faint scraping sound during the feed cycle. Again, my wife does not notice; and her hearing is better than mine. So here I am, wondering if the auger is dragging against something, perhaps buildup despite my doing a light front-end cleaning four days ago (And I thought I was pretty aggressive about scraping the throat of the auger tube clean). I guess I can wait for it to clear up, or get worse so it can be diagnosed.

Or I can start wearing earplugs — sheesh. I could just shut it down and let the radiators do their thing, but I just got a gas bill and last month used less than half versus a year ago — because my wife is working from home and we’re burning 15 hours/day 7 days a week (unless it’s too warm outside) instead of weeknights only being 5 hours.

This might be the ultimate "the problem is the user, not the stove" situation. FYI, I clean the front end weekly, and it's been a little over a half ton, estimated, since I had the unit about and cleaned the flue, TSP and fines box. Hamers pellets; weekly ash in tray is about the volume of a softball.

Ahhhh, the dreaded Harman auger squeal.....
Have you ever pulled the auger out and cleaned it with a wire wheel or brush? If not it’s probably time. Then you can clean the auger tube at the same time. It’s much easier to do with the burn pot removed so you’ll want to grab a gasket first.

Yep, that high pitch squeal is real. I pulled the auger out on my last big cleaning to clear all the built up creosote and that made my stove much quieter this year.

...and, right now, I turned the TV back off (I use it to drown out unwanted noises), and cannot hear it. Reading the replies (thanks) perhaps I can expect it to return?

(A) Will it continuously get worse? Right now, a wild guess is that I'll (I HATE this) pull the unit out for a back-end cleaning in early January, maybe I can use the stove until then, as long as the noise does not become unbearable. anything called "the dreaded Harman auger squeal" sounds rather significant.
(B) Hopefully I can find a YouTube/other tutorial? Seems like everything I find on the Accentra is for the non-insert version, and there are apparently differences. A particular wire brush on drill? Or a brass one? Hmm, I have an automotive brake cylinder hone that I'll probably never use on a car again... was thinking about using it to polish seat tube openings on the bicycles I am restoring, but you'd think it might make an auger tube pretty...
(C) At 6 years of age, is it cost-effective or needful to replace either the auger or the motor?

Ahhhh, the dreaded Harman auger squeal.....
Have you ever pulled the auger out and cleaned it with a wire wheel or brush? If not it’s probably time. Then you can clean the auger tube at the same time. It’s much easier to do with the burn pot removed so you’ll want to grab a gasket first.

Yep, that high pitch squeal is real. I pulled the auger out on my last big cleaning to clear all the built up creosote and that made my stove much quieter this year.

...and, right now, I turned the TV back off (I use it to drown out unwanted noises), and cannot hear it. Reading the replies (thanks) perhaps I can expect it to return?

(A) Will it continuously get worse? Right now, a wild guess is that I'll (I HATE this) pull the unit out for a back-end cleaning in early January, maybe I can use the stove until then, as long as the noise does not become unbearable. anything called "the dreaded Harman auger squeal" sounds rather significant.
(B) Hopefully I can find a YouTube/other tutorial? Seems like everything I find on the Accentra is for the non-insert version, and there are apparently differences. A particular wire brush on drill? Or a brass one? Hmm, I have an automotive brake cylinder hone that I'll probably never use on a car again... was thinking about using it to polish seat tube openings on the bicycles I am restoring, but you'd think it might make an auger tube pretty...
(C) At 6 years of age, is it cost-effective or needful to replace either the auger or the motor?
Ok so “dreaded” was my word to add color to the statement..... If it’s that intermittent, you’ve probably got a ways to go before you’ll hear it more often. It might be wise to wait until the off season to tackle it especially since it’s an insert. Its a nuisance thing. It won’t hurt it to run it IMHO.

I second Harman Lover 007. One thing I've done is to run up the stove temperature to burn off some of the build up. I get a big flame going and turn up the distribution fan to full for half a day. That usually cures it on mine for a month or more. Running the stove at a low burn for weeks at a time promotes the creosote and clinkers.

BTW, the brake hone tool is a good idea and what I used on the auger tube as well. I pulled the auger for the first time after 12 years. I found no need to replace it since the bearing was smooth and spun freely. I simply cleaned it up with a wire wheel which took an hour or more.

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
I second Harman Lover 007. One thing I've done is to run up the stove temperature to burn off some of the build up. I get a big flame going and turn up the distribution fan to full for half a day. That usually cures it on mine for a month or more. Running the stove at a low burn for weeks at a time promotes the creosote and clinkers.

VERY interesting, as I know I tend to run low temps. It's only a 1,443sf house, and running on higher setting could cook us out of the house. I have it on Stove Temp, fan barely on, temp setting at 2 and feed setting at 3. Well, it's supposed to get quite cold for a few days, might be worth cranking it up -- but we're usually in the house in t-shirts and shorts as it is.

VERY interesting, as I know I tend to run low temps. It's only a 1,443sf house, and running on higher setting could cook us out of the house. I have it on Stove Temp, fan barely on, temp setting at 2 and feed setting at 3. Well, it's supposed to get quite cold for a few days, might be worth cranking it up -- but we're usually in the house in t-shirts and shorts as it is.
Well put on the speedo for few hours and let the stove rip when it gets cold.!!

Let the stove run. After some years go by it will not sound like it did when it was new due to wear. Run it for the rest of the season then pull it and deep clean next summer. Harmans are built like a tank. I just serviced a 2004 Accentra insert yesterday that still had original circuit board, ESP, Dist blower . Could not tell if auger motor or comb. motor had been changed. It needed a igniter (because home owner pinched wires in cradle and blew board fuse). Then ended up needing a board, surge must of fowled it up. So I opened up the ESP hole so I could upgrade the ESP to the red probe. I always replace the ESP when replacing a board unless it had already been replaced in recent times.

I sometimes hear a faint squeal, or think I do...I'll run it on high for a while.. I wait till next cleaning , use a mini wire brush to clean the auger end and tube.. also periodically use creosote remover spray on auger end before I fire it up..

Well put on the speedo for few hours and let the stove rip when it gets cold.!!

Well, yesterday it was over 20F colder, barely breaking into the 40's here; so the stove ran higher. Often, in milder temps, the tips of the flames don't often reach the level of the pseudo logs. Yesterday, it certainly did -- and the noise (if it was ever there at all) gone. And the same today.

Let the stove run. After some years go by it will not sound like it did when it was new due to wear. Run it for the rest of the season then pull it and deep clean next summer. Harmans are built like a tank. I just serviced a 2004 Accentra insert yesterday that still had original circuit board, ESP, Dist blower . Could not tell if auger motor or comb. motor had been changed. It needed a igniter (because home owner pinched wires in cradle and blew board fuse). Then ended up needing a board, surge must of fowled it up. So I opened up the ESP hole so I could upgrade the ESP to the red probe. I always replace the ESP when replacing a board unless it had already been replaced in recent times.

Wow, I wish I could indeed run it to the end of the season before removal; last winter I had the unit half out into the living room for, eh, two weeks while I messed with the combustion motor? I guess I could stall until the flame gets lazy? And about that ignitor - yeah, I don't want to touch mine, even vacuuming out down there is spooky even though I do it weekly.

I sometimes hear a faint squeal, or think I do...I'll run it on high for a while.. I wait till next cleaning , use a mini wire brush to clean the auger end and tube.. also periodically use creosote remover spray on auger end before I fire it up..

Interesting idea for the creosote remover... I see Amazon has a Rutland product in a spray bottle, is that it? Meanwhile, during weekly cleanings, I use a small pick, plus a small wood chisel that had already ruined. I'd like to THINK that I have it looking decent, but...

Yup, Rutland Creosote remover spray. I put in a smaller sprayer.. I get from my local Ace Hardware.. I spray it in there before I re-light it..Bottle lasts a long time

Yup, Rutland Creosote remover spray. I put in a smaller sprayer.. I get from my local Ace Hardware.. I spray it in there before I re-light it..Bottle lasts a long time

Hmm, may be time to get some - soon. I turned up the heat level late yesterday from 2 to about 2.75, ran higher. Fine there and this AM but now, I think the noise is back. :(

So also, when my stove was new, 9 years ago, within a few months, the dealer replaced the auger motor for squealing.. just sayin

Oddly, quiet now.

OK, a bottle allegedly arriving here tomorrow, UPS willing. I plan to defer my weekly cleaning to Saturday AM, then, which is nine days at 15 hr/day burn since the last one. Any tips on using the product? Does "I spray it in there before I re-light it" suggest I do my scraping in the area dry as usual, then spray the Rutland in there and fire up the stove while it's still wet, and the creosotes or other deposits burn off?

BTW, when I clean around the throat of the tube, obviously I cannot get behind the auger so I'm only going in, eh, 3/4"? And I cannot see inside the tube from roughly the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock positions, do deposits accrue there? I guess I could buy a dental mirror...

After my scraping & cleaning I spray it all around the auger, tube, burn pot where the buildup gets and pot inner sides. thats it . Then restart it..

After my scraping & cleaning I spray it all around the auger, tube, burn pot where the buildup gets and pot inner sides. thats it . Then restart it..

Well, the bottle showed up late Friday and I used it the next morning. I can see why you use a smaller spray bottle! Anyway, after the dry cleaning/scraping I sprayed quite a bit, until it started to puddle a wee bit in the bottom of the burn pot, then stopped. As I had cleaned and the Harman does not like starting after a cleaning, I wanted to use my 'trick' of adding back in a bit of ash to assist relighting, but dropping dry ash into wet chemical seemed like a recipe for failure. So, I turned on the stove, waited a minute until there were pellets in the pot, and spooned a little ash on top. Presto! Lit in 6 minutes, which is as good as I ever see.

Stove seems quieter now, although I still wish the feed/auger cycle didn't have such an audible hum/moan. It would be nice to know if simply replacing the auger motor and/or auger would be worthwhile.

Oh, and while cleaning the burnt and the readily-visible throat of the auger tube, I felt in behind the auger a bit, I could get a finger in perhaps 1-3/4" back from the opening. Yeah, felt a little build-up in there, and at the top (10-2 position). I did what I could with a small pick w/90-degree tip, then smeared the Rutland product in there on the tip of of a finger (oh, and THEN read that you are not supposed to let this stuff touch your skin!) Unsure how to tell how successful I was, was not planning to do another cleaning for until next Saturday or so. Presumably, each time I do this I should see less and less build-up?

If you need to hand apply it, use a vinyl glove, since everyone should have them now.. I use a paper towel to open and close the spray nozzle and for any drippage... I use it every time I clean the stove. You should see less buildup. I haven't had the "squeal" in a while. Plus it hasn't been very cold here, yet, so it runs on low mostly.. Also the motor, I replaced mine in January of 2018, after 7 years with an aftermarket. It was getting loud and groaning... You will still get a hum but not as bad...

Also the motor, I replaced mine in January of 2018, after 7 years with an aftermarket. It was getting loud and groaning... You will still get a hum but not as bad...

Some thing like: 3-20-60906 at Amazon ? I just typed in the # from the parts list at the end of my owner's manual. Seems to be same source as the combustion fan I replaced, which is working well. Have not done a search yet on a replacement tutorial which, if like every Harman video I've seen, is on the non-insert Accentras. Did you replace any other parts (gaskets?) as part of the job?

Reactions: Ssyko
Well, after two cleanings involving the Rutland product a little over a week apart, I do not think I am hearing the scrape anymore. That said, it adds a little time to the cleanings, especially as I am getting yet more aggressive with the scraping in the auger tube and particularly with the pick getting behind the auger. Still hums/moans, but no scraping.

Latest noise is not dependent on the feed/auger cycle, usually the rest of the time it's as quiet as I guess you can hope for with a pellet stove. Yet, I think I'm hearing a louder hum which I presume is coming from the combustion fan or motor (new) or distribution fan or motor (original). Comes and goes, maybe a half hour or an hour at a time (not willing to sit there with a stopwatch), no idea what would be changing in there to cause that. Yet, it seems to be working great.

Reactions: Ssyko
Pellethead.com
Yup, that's where I got my aftermarket auger (OEM 3-20-60906) and combustion motors & no gaskets involved in remove and replace.. Direct from them or they are also on Ebay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
Well, after two cleanings involving the Rutland product a little over a week apart, I do not think I am hearing the scrape anymore. That said, it adds a little time to the cleanings, especially as I am getting yet more aggressive with the scraping in the auger tube and particularly with the pick getting behind the auger. Still hums/moans, but no scraping.

Latest noise is not dependent on the feed/auger cycle, usually the rest of the time it's as quiet as I guess you can hope for with a pellet stove. Yet, I think I'm hearing a louder hum which I presume is coming from the combustion fan or motor (new) or distribution fan or motor (original). Comes and goes, maybe a half hour or an hour at a time (not willing to sit there with a stopwatch), no idea what would be changing in there to cause that. Yet, it seems to be working great.
Don’t get too aggressive with the scraping too often or you’ll end up needing to replace the auger tube/weldment. Let the solvent do the work.

On the Rutland site they state that you can pre-treat some wood pellets, let them dry before using , that may also help. I've never done that. As for cleaning I use a wire brush similar to these:

Yup, that's where I got my aftermarket auger (OEM 3-20-60906) and combustion motors & no gaskets involved in remove and replace.. Direct from them or they are also on Ebay.

Thanks, I still need to check out a video or other tutorial, showing what I'm getting into: need to cut wires? How is augers attached to motor? Etc?

Don’t get too aggressive with the scraping too often or you’ll end up needing to replace the auger tube/weldment. Let the solvent do the work.

Well THAT is a sobering thing to read -- thanks for the warning! Down in the tube, m I've been only using the 90 degree needle pick. Sounds like I should keep it that way.