Hampton hi400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John v

Jan 24, 2018
New york
Hello, new to this site but I have frequently visited thought the years for usefull info.
Recently purchased a hampton hi400 insert, after previously owning a free standing stove which was stellar for the 12 years I had lived in my previous house.
My question is about the damper plate or shield whatever regency is calling it. 2 pics are enclosed. Is it ok to start out with the shield completely open? Is it meant to be open? I have horrible draft, which we are working on , and need as much air as possible when fireing up. When I engaged the damper, it shuts the shield as well. I pretty sure the shield is set to ones preference? These are my questions and I appreciate any feedback. Best

Attachments

• 20180121_204029.jpg
    20180121_204029.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 20180121_204055.jpg
    20180121_204055.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 207
Drop into the long thread for the Regency CI2600 to chat with some long term owners of this fireplace. @Wolves1 has been very helpful there.

It’s not a problem maybe, it just will take longer to reach 500. The problem that you could have is you need to be careful when you move the shield back it can move off track and when you close the bypass it won’t close properly.

So it's ok to start completely open? And yes, it already came off track. I was able to fix it without taking anything apart but, when I close the damper it pushes the shield aswell. I'm pretty sure that did not happen when I first used the stove. Anyhow, tomorrow temps will drop so I'll be using the stove again only second time since installed 2 weeks ago.

No problem as long as it hits 500. It’s always difficult to get a draft on a cold day and a cold chimney, If you would like to try again open a window near the stove have several peace’s of newspapers crumble long ways lite it on fire one at a time and but it right up to the bypass, if you haven’t done that already.

No problem as long as it hits 500. It’s always difficult to get a draft on a cold day and a cold chimney, If you would like to try again open a window near the stove have several peace’s of newspapers crumble long ways lite it on fire one at a time and but it right up to the bypass, if you haven’t done that already.

yes of course standard procedures..many thanks for your help neighbor, I'm in Glen Head

Make sure your chimney is clean the shield is also there to prevent chimney fires is it is dirty.

That shield is designed to reflect some heat to the catalyst when the bypass is open. As wolves said you can run with it pushed open but the cat may take longer to reach 500.

This stove reaches 700 easily and if I shut the door it goes into ghost flame as if I closed the damper, but it's wide open. I couldn't see closing the damper with this type of burn as it would just smoke. Am I wrong? Just going by my experience with a free standing stove which I really miss right now..

Wow you have very little draft. Where the air comes into the stove bottom middle of stove, I’m not sure if the new stoves come with the adapter that makes the hole smaller if it does you should be able to loosen the 2 bolts and slide the adapter off. Will make the hole bigger and you should be able to get more air in the stove.

More air into the stove is exactly what I need . I am battling down draft aswell. We just extended the chimney 3 feet with insulated pipe. I think it helped a little but far from comfortable operating condition . I actually have tiny embers shoot out of the door. Very dangerous.
So i engaged the damper at 700 degrees and the temp shot up to 1050 and now I have a nice bed of coals at 765. Reload soon. Reloading is horrible because I get rolls of smoke back into the house. How do the numbers sound? On my other stove I would shut the damper at 1100 degrees and temp would fall as the wood burned.
Thanks again for your input.

More air into the stove is exactly what I need . I am battling down draft aswell. We just extended the chimney 3 feet with insulated pipe. I think it helped a little but far from comfortable operating condition . I actually have tiny embers shoot out of the door. Very dangerous.
So i engaged the damper at 700 degrees and the temp shot up to 1050 and now I have a nice bed of coals at 765. Reload soon. Reloading is horrible because I get rolls of smoke back into the house. How do the numbers sound? On my other stove I would shut the damper at 1100 degrees and temp would fall as the wood burned.
Thanks again for your input.
Try opening a window in the room a little before reloading. Then open air intake all the way to the left and open the bypass. Wait 1 minute before opening the door very slowly. See if this helps.

There are two bolts loosen them it’s a flat metal plate that you can slide up and take it off. It’s between that metal hood covering the hole and the stove.