Hampton hi400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for great feedback everyone. The stove is running much better thanks to all Of your suggestions. A little more work to do and she'll be purring.

C2793952-148F-4849-93EF-D21B47432833.jpeg 11124878-EC32-4917-A987-449DE707D7C9.jpeg
This shows the plate. I lifted mine up so you can see.

Some other things to think about the bricks on a new stove have moisture in them, also after several fires the clay and bricks of the chimney warm up and it should be easier to get a draft. My feeling the more you burn the better it will work.

Some other things to think about the bricks on a new stove have moisture in them, also after several fires the clay and bricks of the chimney warm up and it should be easier to get a draft. My feeling the more you burn the better it will work.
Yes, I undid the screws and removed the plate. I'll have to wait for a few days to burn with this spring like weather. And yes, each fire does seem to be better

Don’t worry I’m an amateur meteorologist I like doing it for fun and cold is coming back with vengeance soon.

0C58EF51-3B0E-4CB6-920F-A5895167FE7D.jpeg
Here’s a picture of a nice slow burn but with this stove if there are no flames as long as the temps are above 500 the cat is doing its job and it will still throw out some serious heat. With no flame the glass will go black but when you give it air and get big flames it will start to burn the black off.

Looks good.
Engaging the cat at 500 is still awkward for me . I'm used to engaging at 1000-1100 as my previous unit had the thermometer 12 inches up on the flue.
So when I see this unit get up to 1000 i got a little nervous. What are average temps users are working with? What should the stove run at. Manual does not really mention this.

Good evening, finally some cold weather and stove is cranking. Removing that piece from the inside to expose the hole definatley helped to get some air into the fire box.
This is very efficient unit. Although I don't think it puts out a lot of heat unless the blower is on. That's fine.
I still have the issue of smoke and embers rolling into my living room when I'm reloading. Better when just a bed of coals. Gonna have my friend/chimney guy take a look and see if a chimney fan will help. Thanks all for your help and listening to my vent. Cheers

Good to hear. Yes, this flush insert doesn't put much heat without the fan, but with the fan does a great job.

I try to only load when down to coals which minimizes/eliminates smoke entering my house and also minimizes the chance of flying embers.

Looks good.
Engaging the cat at 500 is still awkward for me . I'm used to engaging at 1000-1100 as my previous unit had the thermometer 12 inches up on the flue.
So when I see this unit get up to 1000 i got a little nervous. What are average temps users are working with? What should the stove run at. Manual does not really mention this.

Mine I run up to about 1300. Then turn the air down. It settles at 1100-1200 for a few hours then slowly decreases. I try to reload when I am around 400 or less but there are always enough hot coals to get going quickly.