1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

hard maple?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by splitoak, Apr 13, 2014.

1. splitoak

splitoak Member

Loc:
    Jefferson Co, WV
    Hey guys i know this is some sort of maple...is it the good stuff?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would guess so. The leaves say it's neither red nor silver. The bark says it's not Norway.
  3. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    That's the good stuff, you got a lot?
  4. splitoak

splitoak Member

Loc:
    Jefferson Co, WV
    Thats only a 35' ft piece bout16" in diameter it is down near some 24" plus locust im getting..::-)
    PapaDave likes this.
  5. splitoak

splitoak Member

Loc:
    Jefferson Co, WV
    Thanks gents for the id..;)
  6. nrford

nrford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW lower Mi.
    You have a red maple(the smaller one)leaf and a hard maple leaf......... The wood is most definitely RED MAPLE.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    TreePointer likes this.
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    A bankshot ID. Looks like what I have here is red maple from nrford's ID. I have never cut any of the things that are like weeds in the middle of my oak and beech trees. May whack a couple and see how they burn.
  8. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    As mentioned, the bark looks like red maple.

That big leaf doesn't have deep enough sinuses for a typical sugar maple; it's more like a Norway maple.
  9. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Not bad as long as you are going to be around to re-load, and don't need a real long burn. One good thing it that the coals will burn down faster, when you want to do that. I burned a good bit of Red this winter.
  10. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Looks like a lot of vines - wear gloves :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  11. kennyp2339

kennyp2339 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    sugar maple, alright to good wood to burn on the "free firewood rating scale", if you get it cut, split, and stacked off the ground you should be able to burn it by this November. good luck
  12. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What bark features are you looking at to distinguish red maple from sugar?
  13. kennyp2339

kennyp2339 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    I have (2) sugars in the back of my house that have very similar bark and leaf features. I really like those tree's, they are absolutely amazing in the fall, but unfortunately I have to take them down this year, they have grown very large and close to the house. Both tree's have developed large cracks in there crotches, its only a matter of time before I have a big problem with them possibly breaking off and hitting the house.
  14. splitoak

splitoak Member

Loc:
    Jefferson Co, WV
    Dilemma..lol..is red? Or is it sugar...im going to get a load of locust today...ill cut a piece off and split it..ill post pics and details..:)...we will settle this once and for all!..lol
  15. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I didn't pick up on the leaf the other day, that's not a sugar maple leaf and does look like a red maple leaf.
  16. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There are two leaves pictured, and I think nrford is right that they're from different trees.
  17. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    You can tell the difference between red and sugar logs if you take an ax to them and try to cut out a chunk. It will be quite obvious after one swing on each.
    Fred Wright and TreePointer like this.
  18. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    TIP: when possible, always try to grab a couple small twigs with buds for species identification when leaves are not present.
  19. Pellet_Pete

Pellet_Pete Member

Loc:
    Franklin Cty, MA
    The bigger leaf is from a sycamore. Smaller leaf is hard to tell, but the bark says red maple all over to me.

I've never been able to come up with a "tip" for identifying hard & soft maple by bark - after you look at a few thousand of them, you get a knack for it.
    nrford, TreePointer and splitoak like this.
  20. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    I can see sycamore on that big leaf. It has the size and they all seem to end up that color.
  21. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Red maple, small piece gives it away, oh ya maybe Poison ivy vines, pull em off before u cut up
  22. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Red and sugar, I believe I read, dont cross pollinate, but Red and Silver can because they both flower at the same time.
    If the bark looks very much alike, you can go by the tint of the inner bark. Red maple has a pink blush, like just a hint of rose madder. But overnight it fades to a dark tan.
    Sugar maple inner bark is a lighter tan. Actually Im just being weird, I mean, its true as far as I see but its a little unscientific.
    I can only tell the real difference by the leaves. Its blasphemus to cut down Sugar maples in my woods.
    And selecting them out in their juvenile growth is tricky. Almost all of my understory is maple saplings.
    Red maples are the first to flower of all the trees and the leafstems are red and so are the premergent buds.
    The red "tint" to the woods right now are all the red maples ready to burst forth.
  23. nrford

nrford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW lower Mi.
    Soft Maple bark appears "scaly" to me or consists of small plates. Hard Maple bark is more course and usually more grey. Once on ground and bucked, the inner bark of soft maple takes on a pinkish hue whereas Hard maple is a brown hue.