Harman 52i Install w/ Photos!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It better not be a warm winter. I'm ready to fire it up now!

Very nice install. Liking that stone a lot. Congrats!

Reactions: mr47930
Thanks..still itching to fire it up. Interested to see how it heats this winter. Hoping the heat distributes well through the house.

Thanks..still itching to fire it up. Interested to see how it heats this winter. Hoping the heat distributes well through the house.
Have no fear about heat distribution.... I'm a bit farther north than you and I heated my house solely with that same unit :)

Looks Great!!, you did a awesome job!!, been thinking about buying a new stove, i know, i cant kill my Whit and the Harmen would be the next best stove to buy, imaginge having a Igniter and a t-stat??.....noway!!
Remember the stove is a space heater it heats the room it's in and hopefully the rest of the house, dont know your layout but my other rooms are 10 degree's colder away from the stove, it all depends on outside temp and most important dewpoint.
But your in MD heck palm tree's grow there!!!, well seen 1 at Ocean city's boardwalk.....lol

Looks Great!!, you did a awesome job!!, been thinking about buying a new stove, i know, i cant kill my Whit and the Harmen would be the next best stove to buy, imaginge having a Igniter and a t-stat??.....noway!!
Remember the stove is a space heater it heats the room it's in and hopefully the rest of the house, dont know your layout but my other rooms are 10 degree's colder away from the stove, it all depends on outside temp and most important dewpoint.
But your in MD heck palm tree's grow there!!!, well seen 1 at Ocean city's boardwalk.....lol

Haha no native palm trees here. I assume you were at Seacrets or Coconuts?? If this winter is similar to last winter we had 2 weeks of single digit temps and my house is somewhat open concept but the stairwell to the upstairs is on the other side of the house as the stove. I'm fine if the bedroom is a few degrees cooler for sleeping.

Supposed to be a cold weekend here in the Mid-Atlantic states. Highs in the upper 40's low 50's and lows in the mid 30's by me. Looks like the 52i will be getting its first long stretch of the season. We've only put 1 1/2 bags through it so far, turning it on for an hour here and there to knock the chill out of the air in the mornings and evenings (and 30 minutes here and there to show friends). I'm going to head out to HD tomorrow and snatch up 10-15 bags of stove chows since I hear good things, I won't be satisfied until I can't feasibly put another bag in the garage and still fit both cars. The lady thinks 4 tons is plenty and scoffs at the idea of adding more bags. I pick my battles and this is one im going to win, at least if I'm in the dog house it will be nice and warm.
I really wish there was a better cleaning demonstration video offered. I would like to see where things are located once the unit is pulled out, what size brush is used to clean the vents. Where important things like the ESP are located and how to take that out. I guess I'll figure these things out when I give it the first cleaning but it would be nice to have a guide while doing it.
When running in room temp mode, I keep hearing about this "sensor" that should be placed on the wall like a thermostat? All I have is what appears to be a long wire that is bare on the end, is this the sensor or is there something that is supposed to hook up to this bare wire? Ive been running it in stove temp mode for the short times ive turned it on.

Have fun and stay cozy. That sounds like smart stashing: you never know if a polar vortex will rear its ugly head. Having a head-start on next year's pellet stash might save you some panic. That long wire is the sensor. It detects temperature at the bare end and compares to your specified minimum room temp. It can also be replaced with a full, fancy thermostat that responds to timers and Wi-Fi control and the current trading price of Brent Crude, but keeping it simple has its advantages. As best I can tell it will:

- run one cycle of the stove
- keep running until reaching the target temp
- finish the burn cycle including the long cool-down

Just be don't put the sensor in an unusually hot or cold spot. It would never shut off if you put it against a window and turn off prematurely if touching the stove surface. I have mine tucked under the stove (against the floor and with no wire visible) so it is reading the air taken in for circulation. That's not a perfectly accurate reading since we aren't lying on the floor, but that just means adjusting the temp dial accordingly. We run it exclusively in room-temp mode, turned down before bed and up first thing in the morning. I'm told these self-babysitting abilities are one of Harman's biggest advantages. As one user told me, "Why not use room temp mode? That's what you paid extra for by getting a Harman."

Have fun and stay cozy. That sounds like smart stashing: you never know if a polar vortex will rear its ugly head. Having a head-start on next year's pellet stash might save you some panic. That long wire is the sensor. It detects temperature at the bare end and compares to your specified minimum room temp. It can also be replaced with a full, fancy thermostat that responds to timers and Wi-Fi control and the current trading price of Brent Crude, but keeping it simple has its advantages. As best I can tell it will:

- run one cycle of the stove
- keep running until reaching the target temp
- finish the burn cycle including the long cool-down

Just be don't put the sensor in an unusually hot or cold spot. It would never shut off if you put it against a window and turn off prematurely if touching the stove surface. I have mine tucked under the stove (against the floor and with no wire visible) so it is reading the air taken in for circulation. That's not a perfectly accurate reading since we aren't lying on the floor, but that just means adjusting the temp dial accordingly. We run it exclusively in room-temp mode, turned down before bed and up first thing in the morning. I'm told these self-babysitting abilities are one of Harman's biggest advantages. As one user told me, "Why not use room temp mode? That's what you paid extra for by getting a Harman."

Ok good, thats where my sensor is as well, tucked neatly under the front of the stove. I was wondering because when you watch the video it says to put the sensor about 20 feet away at a height of about 5 feet. If i go taping a bare wire to the wall the lady will not be happy so it will stay under the stove. Ill give the room temp a shot this week and see what the reading on our thermostat is compared to the stove for a reference point.

Have you pulled your insert out for cleaning yet? Anything to be prepared for? I still need to build a rail kit.

I was wondering because when you watch the video it says to put the sensor about 20 feet away at a height of about 5 feet. If i go taping a bare wire to the wall the lady will not be happy so it will stay under the stove.

Sounds like an engineer's idea, which doesn't jive with my wife, either.

Have you pulled your insert out for cleaning yet? Anything to be prepared for? I still need to build a rail kit.

I haven't done a full clean yet. The installers gave me a rundown and it doesn't look too intimidating; you'll be cleaning fast and familiar before long. Thankfully, our stove is at floor-level so no rail kit necessary.

Your contractor / installers did a very nice job and you paid a very fair price for what was done. Trust me, I know these things. I am a contractor. You have an extremely nice looking set up there and will love your Harman or pellet burner in general. That is my kind of look for a fire place. Clean, rustic, natural, and rugged!

Very, very, ..... Very nice! < said with an accent) :rolleyes:

Reactions: mr47930
Cleaning these Harmans is a stroll thru the park, Gents. See if someone has a Youtube cleaning video on your model. There has to be a lot of instructional stuff out there because this model is very popular.

Your contractor / installers did a very nice job and you paid a very fair price for what was done. Trust me, I know these things. I am a contractor. You have an extremely nice looking set up there and will love your Harman or pellet burner in general. That is my kind of look for a fire place. Clean, rustic, natural, and rugged!

Very, very, ..... Very nice! < said with an accent) :rolleyes:

Thanks! I too feel the price was very fair. The guy who did the stone work was a family friend so we got a smokin' deal on that (just charged for material at his price, and the labor for his guys). The guys who did the tearing out and framing were pros and were in and out in no time and I would highly recommend them for anyone in the central/southern MD area. The mantel I made and hung myself so we saved a bunch there. It changed the living room so much and we couldnt be happier with the outcome.

Reactions: bags
Where about are you in MD? I have a friend that lives in Bel Air and he has a farm 2 hrs south in Hedgesville, WV. Enjoy that heat throwing machine! I am sure you will. I was also getting the electric shock utility billing monthly with a high efficiency heat pump. Talk about feeling like crying. I started heating with wood 100% ten years ago. That's a lot of work but it still beat the shocker in the envelope compliments of my local utility co. I went the pellet route and all I can say is I should have done this decades ago. I will still use wood but my P68 does my place well so far and I do not forecast any problems when it gets real cold.

Nice install! had mine installed last week. hasn't been brutally cold yet, but have fired it up a couple mornings to take the chill out. all the women-folk of the house (wife and 3 daughters, 3mth, 3 and 5) flock to that thing like a damn magnet. i think i've started something awful...

Reactions: bags
Nice install! had mine installed last week. hasn't been brutally cold yet, but have fired it up a couple mornings to take the chill out. all the women-folk of the house (wife and 3 daughters, 3mth, 3 and 5) flock to that thing like a damn magnet. i think i've started something awful...

Dude, You have no idea! LOL! I am in a similar situation. Good Luck with that! ;lol

No stove chows at the local HD. No nothing actually, the kid in the garden center didn't even look up from his phone when I asked, just shook his head no. I thought about asking to see something on the top shelf to make him get the forklift out and get it down just to tell him "na I don't want it anymore". These are the same people marching for $15/hour minimum wage. Went to my favorite farm store and picked up 10 bags of AWF ultra premium white pines. She said people have been happy with them and if I'm not I can bring the unturned back and get a full refund. $6 a bag they should burn good. She showed me a wall full of receipts that were for unfilled orders of Lignetics. Said truck should be in this week and they are all spoken for. She said this is the worst she's seen since 2008 as far as demand goes, guess that's good for business though. Stove is cranking this morning with 39 temps outside. Happy burning!

Last edited:
It was colder than that here and actually was snowing.......... Down to 26 tonight! Awoke to the house temp at 75*. I was experimenting and went to manual (constant burn) last night with temp set down low along with the feed rate. Maybe used 1/3 bag of pellets since 8 PM. I'll take it!

You'll love it. My girlfriend thinks the pellet stove is the best thing since sliced bread. House has been between 68 - 72 since the install. Usually it would be at 63-65 with the dino fuel monster. I'm working on my next project now, framing and insulating the basement. That's where the stove is.

I'm working on my next project now, framing and insulating the basement. That's where the stove is[/quote

That will help quite a bit. The concrete or masonry walls soak up a lot of heat thru thermal mass. Get a vapor barrier (plastic) in between your masonry and the insulation. Many times I will glue > (a few dabs of Liquid Nail or such) 1/2 " Celotex (4' x 8' sheets of foam insulation) onto the existing basement walls, then frame the walls and insulate between the 16" O.C. studs. I foil tape the seams. Costs a bit more but serves as a barrier and also adds some R-Value. Just a suggestion or alternative. You will also be fine with plastic behind and batts in the wall stud cavities. I do quite a few basement finishes.

You are doing yourself a big favor down there. You don't even need the drywall or interior wall finish and can do that later. Just get the vapor barrier and insulation in to gain the R-Value. This would give you time to pull wiring etc; if you don't already have it planned out. Have Fun and Good Luck!

The wife and girls love our stove too! I have to admit, I like it more for numerous reasons. A LOT MORE!

I'm thinking of using extruded polystyrene foam to get started. I don't want to hijack the thread though. I'll probably start a topic on it some time when I'm ready to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.