harman accentra issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

boostaddict

Nov 13, 2016
ct
i just bought a harman accentra that is 6 years old and had it installed. no matter how cold it is in my house it wont turn on until i turn it passed 70 degrees. then it will continuously run and wont shut off even if my house hits 80 degrees according to my wall thermostat. so i have to turn it all the way down and it take an hour for the flame to go out where the distribution blow runs the entire time making it hotter and the combustion blower will run for 1-2 hours after that. my feed adjuster is set to 4 and its set to room temp and its its half way on that. anybody have any ideas on where i could start to check

Reactions: Steenbeen
Do you have the room sensor probe hooked up? It's a wire that plugs into the back of the stove about 6 feet long with a small probe at the end? If so where is it ran to? If not that could be your issue among some other things but have to start somewhere.

Sounds like a room sensor probe problem or the placement of it. But it up on something so it is in the open air not in front of a vent or register. If that does not help get a new room sensing probe. They are $25. That would be the best place to start. Google harman room sensing probe.

How does it run in stove temp mode? Sometimes in temp,mode my stove runs something like what you described but in stove temp mode, I get steady heat based on setting.

I do have the room sensor hooked up and it is peeking out right behind the trim piece not touching anything. It is connected to the 2 blue wires that go to the board. I don't know if it matters which wire goes to either blue wire? I have yet to try stove temp mode.

I do have the room sensor hooked up and it is peeking out right behind the trim piece not touching anything. It is connected to the 2 blue wires that go to the board. I don't know if it matters which wire goes to either blue wire? I have yet to try stove temp mode.
Does not matter how the wires are hooked up.But really sounds like room sensor is shorted/bad,try stove temp mode,please,and then we may be able to help you further.Stove temp mode is basically an old style control system,runs the unit off a set system of parameters,turn knob up,temp goes up.OK,as I type this,my stove kicked on,so I ran over and unplugged the room sensor.It did a full startup,and then started a shutdown.(did this as a test).I have the newest control board,which is the newest programming.You can try yours on stove mode,but I think you will need to replace room temp sensor,and go to the newest control board.They really are not very expensive,as compared to automotive vehicle parts.

Along with what Bob Bare suggested, if you have a meter or can borrow one that can measure ohms, the room sensor at the end of the leads should measure about 4000 ohms (4.0 kohms) depending on the temperature of the room. No good if it reads close to "0" (zero) or open (doesn't read on the meter at all).

It sounds like the room probe to me also which is why I brought it up. I have a buddy that bought a new Harman last fall (installed it himself) and he was having erratic running in room temp mode and saying he could not get his stove running how he wanted or it was supposed to.

I go over and immediately tell him it is nowhere near running right. After checking over things I noticed he had not plugged his room probe into the stove. He went and got it, I took it out of the plastic bag, plugged it in, and Whaaa Laaa!

If you are running in room temp you MUST have the room probe hooked up and functioning properly. Otherwise you'll be pulling your hair out.

So I tried running the stove in stove temp tonight and if fires up and heats up then when I shut it to off it takes over an hour to shut down and the combustion blower runs for a while after that. almost sound like the board isn't much good?

Ok, so it sounds like your room temp probe may be bad. The long shut down is normal, the Accentra takes its sweet old time.

Reactions: bags
It can take these stoves a long time to shut down. My older 2006 PC45 takes much longer than my 2014 P68 but the 68 can take a long while shutting down properly. No worries there. The new probe should have you set straight again. Let us know.

I got the new sensor and installed it today still no different. It's currently 63 in the house and I have it set to 70 and it hasn't kicked on yet anything else I can test or try?

I got the new sensor and installed it today still no different. It's currently 63 in the house and I have it set to 70 and it hasn't kicked on yet anything else I can test or try?
Try cooling the probe with some ice maybe in a bag see if it starts the stove up then if it starts the stove hold it in your hand warming it see if it shuts down the stove

The control potentiometers seem to be problematic in the older stoves from a few of the threads around here and may the cause of not being able to set a temperature. Unfortunately if it's a potentiometer it'll likely mean replacing the control board.

Reactions: Mt Bob
The control potentiometers seem to be problematic in the older stoves from a few of the threads around here and may the cause of not being able to set a temperature. Unfortunately if it's a potentiometer it'll likely mean replacing the control board.
Yep totally agree,I usually reccomend spraying pots with contact cleaner,and see if it makes a difference,then it tells you the pots are going south.BUT the latest Harman board makes the accentra burn much cleaner,I reccomend.

Yep totally agree,I usually reccomend spraying pots with contact cleaner,and see if it makes a difference,then it tells you the pots are going south.BUT the latest Harman board makes the accentra burn much cleaner,I reccomend.
If the OP could confirm a bad board/pots, that latest board probably would be a good upgrade.

Great call Bob and others on the board.

What part of the board was bad, My guess is you replaced the entire board and only the potentiometers were worn out. My potentiometers only lasted about 2 years before they became erratic but lifetime depends on how much you adjust them. The most often used knob is the temp knob so it is the first to go. I installed long life ones and have not had any issues since. If you kept your board you could try repairing to keep as backup.