harman p61 burnpot ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad356

Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2009
north java, ny
i was wondering if you had to remove the ash from the end of the burnpot on the harman p61? i was using the included tool and pulling the ash off every time i filled the hopper. my wife was insisting that i let it go and the stove will push the ash off the edge on its own. which is correct? do i have to remove the ash or will the stove take care of that on its own?

You are both right. The ash will push itself off into the ash pan. However, in order to scrape the carbon buildup from the burnpot you need to clear away the ash to see what you need to scrape.

I don't know if there's a right or wrong. I've read posts on here where some people don't open the door on their stove between cleanings. Personally, I clean the ash off the end of the burnpot at least twice a day. To me it seems the stove burns hotter, but I could be mistaken. The fire seems to get lazy when there is a lot of ash in front of it.

the manual states there should be a minimum of 1' ash in front of the flame, if i remember right?

Depending on the type of pellet, I will remove it atleast 2x's a day-3-4 x's when I am using more pellets. When the ash builds up, it seems to kill the flame some. Plus, the flame looks nicer without the ash.

Like a couple people have already said, I pull the ash off the front of the burnpot a couple times a day and scrape under the burning pellets to try to lessen the amount of carbon buildup. I then do a good burnpot scraping each time the stove is getting started back up. We don't use it on days moons is home.

This is what my burnpot looks like after a while on a low or maint. Burn if I don't pull the ash over the front.

Attachments

• harman p61 burnpot ash
    p61burnpotash.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 366
The rep at the Harman seminar I just attended made this statement more then once. 20 secs 2x per week and 20 mins 1x per week. What did he mean? Scrape the burn pot a couple times a week. Takes less then a minute. Then do a weekly cleaning 1x per week. Tkaes about twenty minutes. Yes, the ash will push off the end of the burn pot.

Duke said:
The rep at the Harman seminar I just attended made this statement more then once. 20 secs 2x per week and 20 mins 1x per week. What did he mean? Scrape the burn pot a couple times a week. Takes less then a minute. Then do a weekly cleaning 1x per week. Tkaes about twenty minutes. Yes, the ash will push off the end of the burn pot.
I would love to go to a harman seminar, were, when a and who much? Did you learn a lot, anyhting we all should know?

Seminar was at the stove shop where I purchased my stove. Didn't cost anything. Was a good crowd there. Mostly the rep just reinforced most of what I have learned on this forum.

Northern Lights in Farmington.
4 degrees right now.

Attachments

• harman p61 burnpot ash
    IMG_2572a.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 244
Status
Not open for further replies.