1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. Northwoodneil

    Northwoodneil Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2012
    Messages:
    341
    Loc:
    Land of Cheese
    I went to shut down the stove to fix an auger squeal but even in the off position the auger kept turning. It slowed to a maintance burn and the dist. blower kept going. The stove was REALLY cranking at the time. Does Harman use the ESP to cool the stove down before coming to a complete stop? It would make sence to do this and eliminate the chance of fire backing up in the auger. It's never done this before but I've never shut it down on max fire before. I didn't let it run it see if it would have ever stopped just opened the door and pushed the stir rod back (to fix this squeal) now I'm curious. Room temp auto if it matters.

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. P38X2

    P38X2 Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2012
    Messages:
    1,674
    Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Never shut mine down from full throttle but I suspect the fact the auger was still feeding was due to the CB ramping down the burn. If it didn't do that, the residual heat from the remaining pellets would burn into the auger tube a little farther than what Harman considers safe. Does that make sense?.....ohh..my head! ;)
  3. Harman Lover 007

    Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
    Messages:
    1,477
    Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    What you describe sounds normal to me especially since you had in cranking. The ESP does control the shutdown procedure. Having said all of that I would force it to do it again when you have the patience to see if it shuts down on its own.
  4. kinsmanstoves

    kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Messages:
    3,371
    Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    The stove can take 45 minutes to an hour sometimes to totally shut off.

    Eric
  5. subsailor

    subsailor Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2011
    Messages:
    1,422
    Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    X2
    kinsmanstoves likes this.
  6. Northwoodneil

    Northwoodneil Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2012
    Messages:
    341
    Loc:
    Land of Cheese
    Thank you gents. It seems the stove is not controling as evenly as normal but the residual heat has got to be the problem, that stove is cranking, even got the water pot on top simmering. I think I'll make soup.
  7. kinsmanstoves

    kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Messages:
    3,371
    Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    clean your circulation blower. If you have pets the fins can be covered and not moving enough air.

    Eric
  8. Northwoodneil

    Northwoodneil Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2012
    Messages:
    341
    Loc:
    Land of Cheese
    I do have pets and haven't cleaned yet this year but its blowing strong. I'll do that as soon as it gets all the way up to 10::F this afternoon. First I gotta' go see my new grandson.:cool:
    P38X2 and kinsmanstoves like this.
  9. P38X2

    P38X2 Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2012
    Messages:
    1,674
    Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Congrats!
  10. Harman Lover 007

    Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
    Messages:
    1,477
    Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    First things first!!!
  11. Northwoodneil

    Northwoodneil Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2012
    Messages:
    341
    Loc:
    Land of Cheese
    Healthy happy and way too cute to have crawled out of my gene pool...and oh ya ...a clean blower. Life is good. :cool:
  12. aaronnoel

    aaronnoel Member

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2010
    Messages:
    177
    Loc:
    southernct
    I have a p68 and it is common for it take a long time for it to cool off and shut down, however when my auger squeals I always scoop my pellets out of my hooper and use a house vacuum to take out remaining pellets and fines around the slide plate, that works 95% of the time. For the other 5% I do need to turn my stove off and scrape out of auger tube. I have found that when I burn high quality pellets ie cubex, VT's, I have no squeling issues. When I burn N. American or Energex my auger squells. my 2 cents.

Share This Page