Harman temp. probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
I have read here that some of you have yours in another room or 15-20ft from the stove.......mine only came with maybe a 3ft legth....is there longer ones out there to purchase?...or are they self made?

You can get 18-2 thermostat wire from your local hardware store and the spade connectors, and make your own extension. Harman says 25 ft max.

self-made. Just get a hunk of thermostat wire from the local hardware store, and some of those flat crimp-on connectors to make your own extension.

Many people just leave the factory-supplied length behind the stove, and say that it works fine there...the theory being that all that "return" room air being drawn into the distribution blower should give an accurate assessment of the room temperature. I didn't have such luck. I don't know if its because my stove is in a corner, or what, but the room won't get above 70 if the probe is anywhere near the stove. I suspect its because of the corner, and nearby furniture...the radiant heat bouncing off all that stuff is enough to fool the probe. (tested this w/ a thermometer...everywhere I tried to stick the probe, I put a digital thermometer in the same spot, and sure enough...it read the same as the stove's setting...while the rest of the room was much cooler). After extending the probe, and running it 10' up an adjacent wall, sticking up behind the couch, the stove keeps the whole room at the set temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.