Hauling a ton in f150?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first got my stoves, I bought a few bags of pellets to test the stoves after I put them back together.

I brought the pellets home in my MINI Cooper.

Reactions: FirepotPete
Guess I'm getting a little older but it's not so much about the truck and your ability to handle it but the actions of other drivers who aren't aware your heavy and didn't sign on for the risk.

Doesn't sound like the truck will be way overloaded and not much can happen at crawling along 10-20 mi/hr I suppose. But I've seen some stupidly overloaded vehicles.

You mean like the guy with 2 skids of salt in the bed of his 2500, a tailgate salter and a V plow up front ( almost new rig ) Which I then happened to see the next day by a dealers body shop. It had a linear V shape to it. Bent in half ( roughly 4900 lbs on a 3/4 ton just in the salt - 700 lbs minimum for the plow + a couple hundred for the salter empty , so about 5800 lbs extra riding on that frame). heck that's even a bit much for 3500.

You mean like the guy with 2 skids of salt in the bed of his 2500, a tailgate salter and a V plow up front ( almost new rig ) Which I then happened to see the next day by a dealers body shop. It had a linear V shape to it. Bent in half ( roughly 4900 lbs on a 3/4 ton just in the salt - 700 lbs minimum for the plow + a couple hundred for the salter empty , so about 5800 lbs extra riding on that frame). heck that's even a bit much for 3500.
Yeah, like that.

Safer than this.......
loaded_mini.jpg

I would say it certainly could be done, I'd just worry about my personal liability in the event of an accident.

Reactions: Ashful
OMG thats my van. LMAO from last year. By the way I did not haul a ton of pellets in the van but this summer i did load her up with 1800 lbs of paver block distributed evenly through the entire van and she got home just fine.

last winter i picked it up real cheap and as a joke posted it here as my new pellet hauler. It then re-appeared shortly thereafter, photoshopped with the pallet on top and flat tires. I kept that pic and crack up every time i see it.

Not sure how involved you want to get, but I have the Timbren SES on my Chevy 1500. They are essentially super heavy duty bump stops. Made of a much stronger material and have a wider footprint to distribute weight better on the frame. They say they can increase payload 2-3 times but I'd never go that much. Mine are rated for 6k lbs.

http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/

In MA, some vendors know what each truck brand is rated for and are supposed to not let you take a ton in one trip if the vehicle isn't rated for that weight.

Apparently venders can be held liable if overloading trucks. Our local quarry wont put a pound more weight on yur truck than yur weight sticker allows.

Not sure how involved you want to get, but I have the Timbren SES on my Chevy 1500. They are essentially super heavy duty bump stops. Made of a much stronger material and have a wider footprint to distribute weight better on the frame. They say they can increase payload 2-3 times but I'd never go that much. Mine are rated for 6k lbs.

http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/
The whole braking system on a 3/4 ton is a lot bigger and heavier than on a half ton. And the 1 ton is bigger yet. Plus 3/4 ton truck and larger have a floating axle that keeps the load off the wheel bearing. Theres a lot more to a HD truck than just the capacity of the suspension or springs.

The whole braking system on a 3/4 ton is a lot bigger and heavier than on a half ton. And the 1 ton is bigger yet. Plus 3/4 ton truck and larger have a floating axle that keeps the load off the wheel bearing. Theres a lot more to a HD truck than just the capacity of the suspension or springs.

I understand all that but I'm not going to own a 2500 or larger truck to haul pellets home 5 miles 3 or 4 times a year. I'm just pointing out that there are some products that work to reduce the stress overall on the truck.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I have a Ford F350 4x4 with a 7.3 liter Powerstroke diesel. Subtracting the Gross Vehicle Weight from the measured weight of the truck, it has a factory load capacity of 3000 lbs, That's with a full fuel tank and me and the dog in the cab. It came with aftermarket overload springs, I have no Idea of what the rating of those springs are, but the total capacity is somewhere higher than 3000 lbs.

I haul two yard loads of gravel for my driveway a couple of times a year, that's about 5800 lbs of rock per load. It s a twenty mile round trip to the gravel pit and back to my home. I've been doing this for the last ten years and haven't had any problems with the truck. It squats about four inches with this load and is nowhere near the spring stops.

I usually only get one ton of pellets at a time, but I wouldn't think twice about hauling two tons at once.

F-350.jpg

Reactions: bags
Guess I'm getting a little older but it's not so much about the truck
and your ability to handle it but the actions of other drivers
who aren't aware your heavy and didn't sign on for the risk.
People using cell phones/texting while driving, are not aware of cars OR overloaded pickups.
There is a danger of crashing, not your fault, every time you pull out of your driveway...

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I have a Ford F350 4x4 with a 7.3 liter Powerstroke diesel. Subtracting the Gross Vehicle Weight from the measured weight of the truck, it has a factory load capacity of 3000 lbs, That's with a full fuel tank and me and the dog in the cab. It came with aftermarket overload springs, I have no Idea of what the rating of those springs are, but the total capacity is somewhere higher than 3000 lbs.

I haul two yard loads of gravel for my driveway a couple of times a year, that's about 5800 lbs of rock per load. It s a twenty mile round trip to the gravel pit and back to my home. I've been doing this for the last ten years and haven't had any problems with the truck. It squats about four inches with this load and is nowhere near the spring stops.

I usually only get one ton of pellets at a time, but I wouldn't think twice about hauling two tons at once.

View attachment 186516

I used to have a Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 liter Cummins. I too hauled gravel weighing over 5000 lbs (scaled at the exit from the pit) on a regular basis. Like your Ford, it handled the weight no problem.

When I first got my stoves, I bought a few bags of pellets to test the stoves after I put them back together.

I brought the pellets home in my MINI Cooper.

Over the summer I found a local Craigslist ad for 5 bags of Blackstone pellets @ $3 a bag...figured I would be in that area so why not.

Found the house, sitting in the driveway was a new, just picked up that day Fiat 500 Pop. The owner of that car and pellets had a good laugh when I was loading the 5 bags of pellets from his garage into my 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth.

What year MINI you got? I had one of the first 2003 model year in this area...just a Cooper, not an S. Fun car.

Ive done it in a 1/2 ton chevy many many times. Never an issue, just go slow and pay attention.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Holy moly! That's not strapped down with anything! A small gust of wind would wreck havoc!

Damnit, that's just asking for trouble....some people......

loaded_mini-jpg.186441.jpg

Holy moly! That's not strapped down with anything! A small gust of wind would wreck havoc!

Damnit, that's just asking for trouble....some people......

View attachment 186542

It's photoshop'd.

I'd not really worry about the issue for a mile. Do it at a non busy time of day when the chance of cars are less.

Remember those payload ratings are deceiving and not accurate, sometimes. What is legal limit is your GAWR and GVWR limits, so you can figure out your true payload rating by having your truck weighed and subtracting that from the above limits, often times it is far less than the claimed 'payload' rating. And remember you, fuel, and whatever you have in the truck is included as payload and can be several hundred pounds right there with an empty bed. Tires are also an important consideration, even if the truck is capable the tires might not be up to the job. I've seen people put P tires on 1/2 ton trucks before, or c-rated, so be aware of what tires you have. I've usually upgraded to E tires even on my half tons since I tend to push the limits, and often times the tires are only a tiny bit more money (last time I think in the size I wanted E was the only choice in that brand). I'd make sure if you will be at or over their weight limit to have them set to their max pressure on the sidewall and you shouldn't have a problem. But I could see someone with a half ton with under-inflated P tires could have a blow out even in 1 mile.

Picked up a ton today. no sweat. trucked sagged a little but no issues what so ever in fact it hauled just as well if not better than my old truck. which was a 2008 f250 the newer trucks are rated much higher in payload than the older trucks

If you get in an accident while overloaded you could be facing liability issues and if someone is hurt its that much worse as you will certainly be found guilty of willfull negligence. ID rather be safe than sorry comes to mind. Personally i would make 2 trips if there was an issue . No different than operating a wood stove beyond its limits ,you may get away with it a few times or you may burn down yur house.

Reactions: pete7713
Not to pile on...you should be fine...however, I'd also add as a disclosure that I've been informed that many insurance companies will not cover you if you've knowingly overloaded your truck and get into an accident...point to ponder for traveling a long distance overloaded...be safe!

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Status
Not open for further replies.