Hearth extension underneath concrete slab repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ErikNY

Oct 18, 2019
New York
The concrete slab under the brick hearth extension support is in bad shape. Slowly peeling and dropping in the basement. See picture. The hearth extension on the surface is not sagging and is in great shape. it's an old fireplace in an old house. Any advice on fixing it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5970.JPG
    IMG_5970.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 92
If there is framing around this I think I would have a ladder frame welded up out of angle iron to hold it in place. Put up a sheet of cement board first as a barrier and then bolt the frame snug up to the cement board to hold it in place.

I can't say for sure without seeing it in person or at least much better pics. But generally if the support structure is failing that along with the hearth extension needs torn out and rebuilt.

No framing beside the wood beams supporting the floor. This is how it looks on the ceiling of the basement.
Can you post a wider picture of the underside including surrounding wood?