heat sponge ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's no fun. I hope spring shows up there soon. What was the room temperature like in February with the stove burning?

hey velvetfoot fill it in back east/west front north/south tried it the opposite way didn't burn to well this bugger can really be packed to the gills wife always tells me to relax on the wood gotta fill her for the nights

SO...coldest February in Ontario and So Quebec since 1889, when records might not have been as accurate. I have a feeling they used lots of hats and coats, scarves and mitten, socks and sweaters indoors that year! And lived in the kitchen. Maybe with some of the livestock to help keep things warm.....

Actually, some of the homes built around here in the 19th century are pretty darn impressive. Paper and shavings were commonly used in this area in icehouse walls to keep the ice from melting. I wonder if any homes used the same for insulation to keep heat in?

east west front not as full leaning it back a bit,tried it once not very good,

SO...coldest February in Ontario and So Quebec since 1889, when records might not have been as accurate. I have a feeling they used lots of hats and coats, scarves and mitten, socks and sweaters indoors that year! And lived in the kitchen. Maybe with some of the livestock to help keep things warm.....

Actually, some of the homes built around here in the 19th century are pretty darn impressive. Paper and shavings were commonly used in this area in icehouse walls to keep the ice from melting. I wonder if any homes used the same for insulation to keep heat in?
Saw dust was a common and available insulator in old homes. Also used frequently in ice houses.

I will add to velvetfoot's comments. I have been in a stone cabin in 80+ degree weather and found no need for an air conditioner. The rock may feel cold but that feeling does not go away in summer.
I spent 35 years living in old stone houses without AC, and the last 5 in old stone houses with AC. In a heat wave, yes, the stone house keeps you cool for the first two days. By the third it starts heating up, and then thereafter you're living in a brick oven. After the heat wave passes, everyone else's house returns to comfortable a good day before the old stone house.
like oldman said saves on air conditioning...
This part is true, at least in our clime. The stone work helps knock the edge off those noon-time highs, and does keep the AC bill down. Based on our square footage, PECO was predicting we'd be paying $750+ per month during the summer, but our electric bill is one third that. My wife has 100 lights and 4 TV's on at all times.

Saw dust was a common and available insulator in old homes. Also used frequently in ice houses.
I lived in a very old building once and the insulation was horse hair.
In Canada a face cord is supposed to be 16"x4'x8' which is indeed 1/3 of a cord. 18" is unusual in our area but certainly could be ordered. Some vendors sell 14" or even 12" lengths (4x8') and still call it a face cord but that's cheating. Most people are none the wiser, just like the 'well seasoned' term. I toss some salt at the stacks to make them well seasoned.;lol;lol

just stone no studded walls.the walls read from 2::C on bottom of wall to about 8::Cabout 4 ft and upi'm going to have to watch who i recommend this stove to it might push you out of regular house ;lol

Do you get a lot of dampness? Have done anything to seal ealed the stone?

Hi Xmas shoot foam were I can like the look of the rocks did basement walls .put vapor barrier on basement floor took it of .cut the thermal heat from ground hey Swedish chef live in beauh Arno is auto correct sucks

Last edited:
Careful, there. If you're talking 18th century, or really anything pre-portland, then sealing the stone could be the end of your house!
I really think you should never seal and masonry unless you are talking about a foundation and you are doing it from the outside. Otherwise it usually ends up causing more problems than it is worth. And it doesnt need to be 18th century at least here lime mortar was used as late as the 1930s

Exactly. However, 18th century is even worse, since most 18th century farm houses don't even have lime in their bedding mortar. Lime had huge hauling costs in the 18th century, and so it was reserved for pointing and plastering, only. The bedding mortar is usually just mud from the back yard, in these very old houses far from any lime kiln.

it's only on where the floor and foundation meet about 3 inches already warned from my cousin mike homes jr ;lol

beauharnois in monteregie.no i just have cousin who's a contractor whjo's anal like him ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.