Hello and thanks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisTheSpider

Nov 30, 2015
Carroll County, OH
The short version is: Hi, I'm new here but I've done a lot of reading before signing up and you've all been a big help. The longer version of my odyssey follows:

1) A few weeks back, I bought a used St. Croix Hastings for a great price. Built in 2003, with the doubly-outdated control board, and for the life of me, I cannot find a manual for that one. The owner inherited it with the house purchase and didn't know a thing about it. So I bought it and didn't know a thing about it. I loved the look of it and I loved the price even more. I couldn't take another winter of electric and fuel oil heating so it all just seemed right. I did some research, which meant reading through a lot of troubleshooting and FAQs here. Once I got it cleaned up (or so I thought, HA!) and installed, I flipped the switch. It started...and stopped. The On/Off light blinked the entire time.

2) Got a vacuum error, which I traced to the combustion fan. It didn't want to turn. I coaxed it a little with a gentle nudge through its protective grate. It started working, but the amps were a little high compared to its plate. So that was my first deep-er cleaning. Pulled it and chiseled and scraped and sprayed and soaked and sucked until I could at least see metal again. A dab of lube and a blast of air. Started it again. More vacuum errors, jumped the vacuum switch for testing. It worked...kinda. Low, lazy flame.

3) Got a snake and started poking and spinning and whipping and what-not and got several cups of ash out of the stupid hidey-holes (only two on mine). More sucking, with a small hose to get into those same holes. Better, but not right. Flame was still lazy.

4) I finally broke down and bought a leaf vac. Hooked it to the exhaust and whoosh! There goes another few cups of ash. Turned it back on again and voila! Compared to the lazy Bic lighter flame from before, it looked like a jet engine. Power light still blinked (blunk?) and the fire burned, but it never really got hot. So...

5) I finally found a thread about a different model St. Croix which had the blinky power light after a cleaning. Finally found the last problem. It's in thermostat mode. Traced some wires, jumped them and there it is - that's what it's supposed to look like!

That was about an hour ago. So, I'll see if anything new develops but I am so stoked right now, and none of this would have happened without this particular group of people posting their experiences. In fact, prior to #5, I finally signed up just to post that very question. I'm sure I'll be around for a while; I haven't learned everything...yet.

So, yeah. Hi, I'm Boris and I now own a "restored" 2003 St. Croix Hastings, thanks to you all.

Glad you were able to get the answers you needed thru researching the thread. The Hastings is a very nice stove. I have two different manuals (not as old as 2003, but one of them might do. Post a pic of your control board cover and if it matches one of the manuals I have, I'll get it to you. I would almost bet that the 2008 manual will be pretty much the same (except the 2 ash traps versus 3 ash traps).

Also, so far so good on staying warm. I ran it overnight with no problems. Warmed the whole house. Next step is to try a few different pellets and to start detailing and regreasing every little thing. It runs pretty quietly but I think a little less dust and more grease would be a good thing in a few spots. I may actually invest in an inexpensive remote thermostat just to automate it a little more...now that I know where and how it connects. Ha.

Reactions: bogieb
No, thats's one of the ones I already have and it doesn't cover my control board. I've developed a pretty good familiarity with the mechanical parts now, including wiring. The only questions left are about the functions of the control board. Does anyone know if it's worth updating that for some reason? Maybe it's more efficient now or something?

The only real difference I see between that board and what my 2008 had is the thermostat/manual controls. I assume those controls are elsewhere on the stove?

Page 6 of this manual, might help a little. If you substitute "Feed Trim" for the Top Auger on your stove, and ignore that it has the stat/manual switch on it, I'll bet they are the same.

The only real difference I see between that board and what my 2008 had is the thermostat/manual controls. I assume those controls are elsewhere on the stove?

Page 6 of this manual, might help a little. If you substitute "Feed Trim" for the Top Auger on your stove, and ignore that it has the stat/manual switch on it, I'll bet they are the same.
It does not have a switch elsewhere. You just go to thermostat mode by removing a jumper. I did find that I can adjust the auger trim on level 1 only, and only up or down 1 level (I think it's 0.5 sec.). It doesn't affect any other heat setting and I'm really not sure if the combustion fan can be adjusted electronically at all with this board. I haven't played with it enough but the "Fan" button does...something with the convection fan. I just finished getting the bugs out of the burning issues on vacation and now I'm back to work so I have considerably less time to tinker. Still showing the wife how it works too (how to turn it up or down and load pellets at least).

ETA: Got a chance to look over that manual again. I didn't see it earlier today because I was working but I did see I already had it downloaded. I'm guessing that manual is correct about auger trim being 0.25 seconds up or down on level 1, not 0.5 as I thought. However, the Draft Trim button on that board is replaced by Fan on mine. Playing with it a bit more, it adjusts the convection fan voltage (at least on some heat levels - haven't tried all yet). I can't say by how much, but it is a noticeable difference. Not sure where I'll leave that setting. I'm guessing if I'm on level 3, for instance, and the convection fan is blowing at maximum voltage, it may draw enough heat from the exchangers that the air temperature coming out won't be as hot. It won't seem as hot anyhow, I would assume, due to increasing evaporation of moisture in the air...or maybe I'm really overthinking it.

Last edited:
If that is button is truly for the convection fan, and not the exhaust fan, then at setting #3 you should get plenty of heat - when I ran #3, the room blower would go to high; that would give you the max heat out of the stove so additional heat isn't lost out of the exhaust. At #1 or 2, you probably want a lower fan setting (mine adjusted down automatically at lower burn levels), but you might play with that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.