Help! Cat combustor fell out during fire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ArmyMP

Jun 24, 2018
Jamison, PA
I had a nice fire going and the catalytic combustor just fell out into the firebox. I can't get it back in with a fire going. Can I just leave it out with the damper wide open until this fire goes out?

Quick help is appreciated. Thanks.

I had a nice fire going and the catalytic combustor just fell out into the firebox. I can't get it back in with a fire going. Can I just leave it out with the damper wide open until this fire goes out?

Quick help is appreciated. Thanks.
What stove is it?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
The Earth Stove. Bayview BV400c I think. It was here when we bought the house last year.
Just let it burn out. Did you have the system inspected by a chimney pro when you bought the house

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I did but I got the sense the guy had no idea what he was doing. Said everything was fine. I guess my next move is to have someone come out. Thanks for responding so quickly!
Did he make sure the stove was hooked to a liner? Did he scan that liner and do a full inspection of the stove and complete system

Did he make sure the stove was hooked to a liner? Did he scan that liner and do a full inspection of the stove and complete system

He was a big guy (Not muscular either) and climbed a ladder to the top of the chimney and peaked down for a few seconds and said it was lined and looked good.

He was a big guy (Not muscular either) and climbed a ladder to the top of the chimney and peaked down for a few seconds and said it was lined and looked good.
I think maybe you need a different pro to check things out.

I think maybe you need a different pro to check things out.

I agree. He didn't look to sturdy/comfortable up on the ladder. I'll get somebody out before my next fire.

I cleaned the combustor a couple of weeks ago and everything was fine. There is a clip that holds it in place and somehow the clip and the combustor popped out. My main concern was damaging something with it out but hopefully I can just burn what is in there with the flue open without hurting anything. Even with fire gloves on I burned my fingers. So much for a nice hot fire on a snowy night.

I agree. He didn't look to sturdy/comfortable up on the ladder. I'll get somebody out before my next fire.

I cleaned the combustor a couple of weeks ago and everything was fine. There is a clip that holds it in place and somehow the clip and the combustor popped out. My main concern was damaging something with it out but hopefully I can just burn what is in there with the flue open without hurting anything. Even with fire gloves on I burned my fingers. So much for a nice hot fire on a snowy night.
I wouldn't burn any more with it out but letting the fire burn down should be ok.

Reactions: ArmyMP
I would've just put the combustor back in. I've had similar situations a couple times where I knocked my flame guard into a roaring fire.

Excellent stove trick: You can get real nice almost-elbow-length welding gloves for $15 at Home Depot. You can pick up red hot coals, burning logs, and wayward thousand degree stove parts for several seconds at a time without feeling the heat. Don't load your stove without 'em!

I don't really know which answer is worse for a ceramic cat. I think I'd choose possible thermal shock from being replaced over near-certain substrate leveling and possible substrate delamination from sitting directly in a fire.

There is a local company of all CSIA certified sweeps near you that have an impeccable reputation. Not sure if we are allowed to provide names, they are located in Fairless Hills. They will make sure your unit is proper.