1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help! i just noticed black dust around in my living room.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by kh395269, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kh395269

kh395269 New Member

Loc:
    CT
    I'm pretty sure it is from the small shop vac that I am using to clean out my pellet stove. Does everyone use special filters of some sort? or, Do you prefer one vacuum over the other? Have you been able to avoid this problem? Any advice would be great. Thanks, Kim

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kyburnr

kyburnr New Member

Loc:
    Kentucky
    Need to use the bags for Drywall and ash. (Usually yellow)
  3. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Drywall bags in my shop vac. A plain shop vac without these
    will spew dust all over your house and in your lungs.
  4. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Or even better get the HEPA bags if they sell them for your VAC
  5. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    Better yet put the vac outdoors and get a longer hose to reach stove. Then no nothing in the house ever. I got a craftsman 10 gallon from a friend that is steel he just did not want it any longer so i just put on a foam filter and leave it outside and allow it to do whatever it may outside. Has been fine no problems to date (i also have no neighbors within 2 miles of me). If you do then just install the drywall filter and all will be well. TELL the wife to clean up the black stuff <<<<<<<
  6. sydney1963

sydney1963 New Member

Loc:
    Windham Maine
    Need to use the bags for Drywall and ash. (Usually yellow) I have a shop vac 5 gallon. They don't make dry wall dust bags smaller than that.
    Works Great!
  7. kh395269

kh395269 New Member

Loc:
    CT
    Great! I will definitey try to the drywall/ash bags. Looks like I will be on my way to Sears tomorrow. Thanks!
  8. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    LOL. I do know one guy named Kim, but
    here I'm guessing this Kim IS the wife!

If Sears doesn't have what you need try Home Depot or Lowes.
  9. imacman

imacman Guest

Yep, sounds like you have the wrong filter or the filter is so clogged it sucked itself in half and now has an open area that's letting all the dust past.

If the weather isn't too cold, I just put the (2) 3' extension that came with my Rigid shop vac together, stick them into the exhaust port of the vac, crack the sliding door open about 3", and put the end through the opening so it's venting outdoors.

If it's too cold, I put the "good" filter on. I shake it out every once in a while, but normally get no dust at all.

This is the one I use on my Rigid vac.....it isn't a HEPA, but is meant for fine dust, and the ad even specifies stove ash.

www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...053&productId=100021371&N=10000003 90401 1600
  10. sgalczyn

sgalczyn New Member

Loc:
    eastern PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.