Help installing the Heat-Fab Insulated Saf-T Thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Since I have mortar missing over my chimney bricks (see pictures attached),

1) Should I reinstall the mortar that is missing before I install the thimble

or

2) Should I remove all the mortar to the brick then install the thimble.

The instruction state to use a exterior rated silicon that kind of scares me as it is not heat resistant.

Can I use fireblock sealant instead.

All the advice, wisdom and help is appreciated.

02072014 007.jpg 02072014 005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would remove all that mortar or plaster to get down the brick. we use furnace cement but if instructions say to use silicone id use high temp silicone check the heat rating on the fire block stuff allot of it is not high temp stuff either it is mainly meant t block air movement in walls and there for slowing fire transmission but if fire actually gets there it will not hold up. I know fr a fact that the fire stop foam burns like crazy when you light it.

Remove all the mortar down to the brick. Cut hole, drill and set the tapcons for the screwes. Then clean the surface very well and wipe down with damp cloth to remove any dust. Let dry, then install.The silicone is on the back plate edges. This is beyond the middle insulated collar. You will be fine with a good quality silicone adhesive sealant like GE Silicone II.

You will be fine with a good quality silicone adhesive sealant like GE Silicone II.

Thanks that is good news. At least I am making progress in the right direction.

Begreen your insight is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.