Help needed for stove purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chad R

Mar 11, 2018
Western PA
Long time lurker, first time poster. I am researching a replacement stove for an older under-performing ENERGY KING insert that came with the house when purchased. House is 2400 sq. ft. not an open floor plan. Fireplace/chimney is on an exterior wall. This room has double doors to the living room, as well as a slider to the kitchen. Through the use of these I can direct heat to other rooms as needed. Heat (furnace) is provided by heat pump with electric back-up. My current insert is a catalyst, so I am not afraid to go that route again.

I am looking for an insert that will provide a long burn, and lots of heat. I would also like the ability to load N-S as well as E-W.
We have looked at several units, and narrowed our options to (thanks to all the help/info available on hearth forums)

Hampton HI300 (positive being the rectangular fire box allowing for e-w or n-s loading. Negative being 8hr advertised burn time)
Hampton HI400 (positive being the catalyst allowing for longer heat output. Negative being the cost of replacement catalyst)
Quadra Fire Grand Voyageur (positive being long advertised burn time)
Another local store also sells ENVIRO units. I am interest in the Cabello 1700 and Boston 1700. The problem is, they don't have them in stock. (There is no other local Enviro dealer) I am leery of purchasing an insert that I didn't actually look at. However, the Enviro units seem to have great reviews in the forums.

Questions:
Is the Hampton HI300 comparable to the HI400, minus the catalyst?
Can any of the Hampton or Quadra Fire units be loaded N-S?

ENVIRO owners: Do you get the advertised heat, and burn times?
ENVIRO owners: are you happy with the overall quality?
ENVIRO owners: any fan noise or issues?
ENVIRO owners: can these units be loaded N-S?

Thanks in advance for any info you provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
The design difference between the HI300 or the Cabello vs HI400 will make a difference in how they heat. The HI400 is flush and needs the blower to convect the heat from the stove. The HI300 and Cabello project out a bit onto the hearth. That allows them to heat a bit better, especially during a power outage. If there is a Blaze King dealer I'd recommend also looking at the Ashford 25 and the BK Princess.

The design difference between the HI300 or the Cabello vs HI400 will make a difference in how they heat. The HI400 is flush and needs the blower to convect the heat from the stove. The HI300 and Cabello project out a bit onto the hearth. That allows them to heat a bit better, especially during a power outage. If there is a Blaze King dealer I'd recommend also looking at the Ashford 25 and the BK Princess.

Thanks for the info. Thanks to the many great reviews on this site, BK was on my original list. I researched BK via their website. The BK specs are pretty impressive t say the least. The trouble being, there is no local BK dealer. Closet one is an hour away.

The Enviro Cabello (Boston and Venice) 1700 have a relatively square firebox that can load either way.

I have the Boston 1700.

Yes to the advertised heat and burn times. I heat our 2500 sqft house with the Boston. Can heat the whole house until it drops into the teens for a few days. Can still heat it when it's that cold, but it takes more loads.

Very happy with stove quality so far. This is still my first year though.

No fan noise issues yet. I almost always run it on low, and you can't really even hear it until you're a few feet away.

I can load up to 19" easily N/S, and probably around 16" E/W. Not sure because I always load N/S. I can load 20" and a little longer than that above the doghouse.

I have the Boston 1700.

Yes to the advertised heat and burn times. I heat our 2500 sqft house with the Boston. Can heat the whole house until it drops into the teens for a few days. Can still heat it when it's that cold, but it takes more loads.

Very happy with stove quality so far. This is still my first year though.

No fan noise issues yet. I almost always run it on low, and you can't really even hear it until you're a few feet away.

I can load up to 19" easily N/S, and probably around 16" E/W. Not sure because I always load N/S. I can load 20" and a little longer than that above the doghouse.

Thanks

I wouldn't hesitate to drive an hour to look at a possible stove. It's a decision that you're going to live with for years. You're not going to remember the drive come next winter.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive an hour to look at a possible stove. It's a decision that you're going to live with for years. You're not going to remember the drive come next winter.

I'm making a round trip tour of several stove shops in the greater region next week. You are correct, a big decision to be made. It makes sense to look at / research all that I can.

Thank you all for your help. After much travel looking at several stoves, I bought a Blaze King Ashford 25. The Ashford ticked all the boxes on my wish list. The dealer (Chip's Wood Stoves) said he has sold many Ashford's over the last four years, and none of them have had any issues.

Reactions: illini81
Thank you all for your help. After much travel looking at several stoves, I bought a Blaze King Ashford 25. The Ashford ticked all the boxes on my wish list. The dealer (Chip's Wood Stoves) said he has sold many Ashford's over the last four years, and none of them have had any issues.
They are great stoves that seem to fit your requirements well. Make sure that a block off plate is installed and it should serve you well.

Project complete. Burning off the stink as I type this. Now to learn how this insert burns. Thanks again for all your help. Before and after pics for your viewing pleasure.
before.jpg after.jpg

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 141
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 150