Help needed with old stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ewilcox11

Oct 14, 2010
KY
First of all, I apologize in advance if I use any wrong terms. 2 years ago I salvaged an old wood stove out of a house that was getting ready to be torn down. The stove is in good condition and has an electric blower on it that works. It has been sitting in my detached garage since then. My garage already has a chimney so all I need to do is hook up the stove pipe to it so I can work out there during the winter. I have one problem. The stove has a rectangular stove pipe opening. I have been searching for 2 weeks and cannot find any rectangle to round stove pipe connectors. Does anyone know where to find these or how to make one?

Thanks

Welcome. Normally rectangular exhausts are found on some older inserts and not freestanding stoves. These inserts are not meant to burn outside of a masonry fireplace. If you can post a picture or two of the stove and the flue exit, we may be able to recognize it.

Is there any identifying label on the stove? Sometimes there are specific rectangle to round adapters for older inserts like the Squires, etc. If there is a make an model label on the back of the stove, that would help. An adapter may look like the product on this page:
http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/reducers_increasers.htm or like these adapters: http://www.hartshearth.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=222

Welcome to the forums. I see you're already getting some good insight. Another thing to consider is any local codes. Check with the authority having jurisdiction in your area, as many areas do not allow garage installs due to things like gasoline being stored in garages, etc. You may be in an area that doesn't forbid such installs, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.