Help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ron832

Hearth Supporter
Oct 23, 2009
South Jersery
Hello,

I bought a Lopi Answer wood stove. I plan on building a aclove. I have a L shape house and the inside corner is where the aclove is going.

I building the aclove to a non combustible specs. I going to use 3 1/2 hollow cinder block. its going to be 7' high 30" deep and 44 wide and cap it with 3 1/2 conrete

liners. I will leave a 2" air space wood frame around the block . Well, thats the ideal.

I made web with more detail. please check it out

http://home.comcast.net/~ronsleister/site/?/home/

Ron

Is the stove going to sit "outside" the building envelope of the house? I'm a little confused.

One thing to possibly keep in mind: concrete will rob a LOT of BTUs from your stove. Generally, you want to place the stove inside the area where you are going to spend the most amount of time. The Answer is a pretty small stove to begin with. Lopi stoves usually have a pretty low clearance to combustibles, I know my Lopi Endeavor does. Can you put the stove in your living area?

Yes, I looked at the page. I understand what you are trying to do, but I again suggest that you consider 1.) the small stove size and 2.) the fact that any uninsulated concrete walls will leak BTUs like the Clinton administration did state secrets to China! :lol:

I'm not saying your plan won't work. Just keep in mind that you'll want to insulate your addition to retain any heat offered by such a small (1.6 cubic feet) fire box.

Most people will tell you that the best way to move warm air is to set up a convection loop. Basically, you want to blow cold air (preferably low to the ground) towards the stove. As this dense, cold air moves into the stove room down low, the warm air from the stove and ceiling will "rush" in to take the place of the colder air. It sort of sounds backwards, but from what I read it works very well.

If you're going to all that trouble, why not just build a new room there? You already have two of your four walls. Call the room a den and put the stove by the wall that abuts the living room (w/ proper clearances, of course). Done properly, you will add value to your home. If you do something akin to a concrete block outhouse attached to your house, it may not be a good selling point should you later choose to sell your home.

Since you're in New Jersey and not the Ozarks, you'll need to permit whatever you do.

Good luck,

Peace,
- Sequoia

Ron I too had problems understanding how to build for a stove when I built my house 5 years ago. When we framed the house I just left a "hole" where I wanted to put my stove (BIS Ultra). The dealer had to beat it into my head that what I needed to do was construct a "room" on the outside of the wall where I wanted my stove. In my case that room is complete with insulation, vapor barrier and drywall. The only thing that makes my stove look like it is flush with the outside wall is that I dry walled across the opening above the stove.

In reality the outside walls of my house make a little jog out and back in to enclose the stove. Therefore my stove is sitting in the "normal" interior of my house.

The other point that Pagey brings up about moving the cold air is true also.

Status
Not open for further replies.