1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help with ID of my wood hunt please?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by bucko64, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    That looks just like the sassafras I have in my pile and in my stove at this very moment.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    used to drink that tea when i was a kid doesent look quite like that tree
  3. kjayhawk

kjayhawk Member

Loc:
    North of St. Louis
    Definitely sassafras. Got some in the back yard ... and have cut and burned it. The longer it seasons the more yellowish it will become.

It's good wood, although the bark tends to send quite a few sparks flying.
  4. JerseyWreckDiver

JerseyWreckDiver New Member

Loc:
    North/West New Jersey
    This may help if your into a little work. Just take a peice and chuck it up in a vise or something and shave a small section of the end grain nice and clean with a really sharp chisel, razor or I use a draw knife but not everyone has one of those lying around. Then just use a reasonable good magnifying glass or loop, around 8-10x magnification and compare the different factors.

Attached Files:

5. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    Wow- great book! What book is that? Looks like you can ID a tree from the wood only. Most guys are saying "show me the leaves."
  6. barbsat

barbsat New Member

Loc:
    Adams County PA
    Sasafras. if I am right it will weight 1/10th of what oak does. If you can expose the roots they will smell like root beer. It will be easy to split and will burn fast and hot. It will also snap and spark a lot. We used to call it dynamite wood. It is a lot of fun to burn.
  7. bucko64

bucko64 New Member

Thank's to all Ill go with sassafrs that is next year's burn.Here is anther day of cutting just thout I would post it It is OAK Pin Oak I think oh shoot here we go again LOL..

Attached Files:

8. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    Bucko your in Bear DE I'm right around you just outside Newark, in MD
  9. Malatesta

Malatesta New Member

Loc:
    Maryland

Kinda smooth grayish Bark. I think your right ! LOL
  10. JerseyWreckDiver

JerseyWreckDiver New Member

Loc:
    North/West New Jersey
    Yes, you can ID the wood completely by looking at the end grain details, it's as accurate as a fingerprint. I have a few books like this, these images came from "Understanding wood" which was basically my way of understanding the science behind the material I worked with daily as a furnituremaker. It doesn't focus on identification but has 50 or so of the really common species (about 1/3 of those are tropicals from the rainforests) so it is a little limited in this area. For Oaks it only has Red Oak & White Oak, none of the ten or so others, of the dozen or so Hickories it only lists the Shagbark, Maples, just the Sugar Maple . Lots of other scientific data on wood densities, moisture charectorisitcs, movement, physical properties and such. I think they may even have a cheaper, paperback version now. It was an expensive book, only in hard cover back when I bought it.

My primary book for this an ancient guide to tree identification that has been out of print for decades can't even find another copy anymore unless your willing to pay a couple hundred at some exotic antique book store, if they have a copy, which is unlikely. But it has a few hundred species. I've given thought to digitizing the images and putting them in a stand alone database program and selling CD's on ebay or something for 20 bucks or so, not sure if it will be worth my time...
  11. barbsat

barbsat New Member

Loc:
    Adams County PA
    If the leaves look like mittens it is sasafras.
  12. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    Some kind of Oak, I'm in the same area as you. There are so many kinds of Oak the out side looks differant but wood looks the same.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.