Help with VC Defiant chimney install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barrettdp

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2008
NE Georgia
Hello and thanks in advance!

A little about our set up. We have a new construction house about 2400 sf total. The area we are trying to heat is a large living area that opens into the kitchen, dinning room, and sun room, about 1400 sf total. I am not trying to heat the bedrooms with the wood stove but that would be a nice!

Two years ago after learning a cheap zero clearance fireplace was a poor heat source we tore out the zero clearance and installed a Napoleon 1100 insert. Although I like the Napoleon, it does not heat this space well enough. We are struggling to keep temps up in the mid 60's when it is only in the 30's outside.

So we are buying a left over VC Defiant model #1910 today. I have an existing chimney from our Napoleon insert. It is the original double walled chimney from the zero clearance with a 6" stainless steel liner with out insulation I installed into the chimney. Total chimney height around 24" if memory serves me correctly.

The dealer told me that the way they installed the VC oval flue was to just use a short 6" (may have been 8") piece of single wall pipe and curve it to an oval shape and insert it into the stove flue exit to essentially make a cheap oval to round adapter, and seal in the gaps with cement. They also stated that the VC oval to round adapter did not fit near as well as it should, hence the reason they do it this way.

After all the research on this great site when I did the Napoleon install about the SS chimney liner, this easy adapter seems unsafe to me so I will not be using it. But it brings up a couple questions.

1)What would be the best way to go about connecting the VC oval flue into a double walled 8" (I'm assuming this is approved for zero clearance fireplaces and not for stoves) with a 6" liner? Actually, would it besafe/approved to run the VC straight into the 8" chimney from my zero clearance, and remove the SS liner??? (I'm assuming the 8" is made from like tin or something, definitely not steel, forgive my ignorance please)

2) Would this stove be too much for our needs? Routinely drops into the teens overnight here, 30-40 during the day.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.