Heritage hookup woes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calef

Dec 4, 2011
Westford, VT
I searched and could not find a thread on this, so I thought I would ask...

I just got my heritage home and in the house! WHEW! Now the questions is, how do I hook her up? I have a 6" sleeve expandable style stove pipe, which goes straight up to my metal asbestos chimney pipe through the roof. The sleeve style expandable pipe, while it is considered a "single wall" for safety standards it actually has 2 walls... which is what allows it to grow. Where it hooks up to the stove, one wall goes on the outside of the stove, one inside the stove. On the Heritage the cast piece is so thick my pipe wont go over it.

So, should I get a 4 inch extension that goes inside the Heritage 2 inches , then up like 2 inches and have my current pipe go inside? Or do I scrap the whole thing and go with something else? The whole pipe distance is 64 inches from the stove stone to the metal asbestos coupler.

THANKS!!!

Calef said:
I searched and could not find a thread on this, so I thought I would ask...

I just got my heritage home and in the house! WHEW! Now the questions is, how do I hook her up? I have a 6" sleeve expandable style stove pipe, which goes straight up to my metal asbestos chimney pipe through the roof. The sleeve style expandable pipe, while it is considered a "single wall" for safety standards it actually has 2 walls... which is what allows it to grow. Where it hooks up to the stove, one wall goes on the outside of the stove, one inside the stove. On the Heritage the cast piece is so thick my pipe wont go over it.

So, should I get a 4 inch extension that goes inside the Heritage 2 inches , then up like 2 inches and have my current pipe go inside? Or do I scrap the whole thing and go with something else? The whole pipe distance is 64 inches from the stove stone to the metal asbestos coupler.

THANKS!!!

Shouldn't it go in, and not over? I have a double wall pipe so it looks a little different.

No... Not this expandable single wall that actually has 2 walls.... One goes over one goes in.

Calef said:
No... Not this expandable single wall that actually has 2 walls.... One goes over one goes in.

That sounds right. No idea why it isn't working for you.

Single wall (even the telescoping section you have) goes inside the cast iron collar. Even double wall pipe has an inner wall that goes inside the collar first and then the outer shield layer goes outside of the cast iron. Don't confuse yourself by calling your telescoping single wall section anything but single wall.

I suspect that you have your section upside down. Flip it over and see if it will go inside. The single wall telescopic piece you have will have a male end with visible crimping and that goes into the stove. The female end goes up top.

Thanks for the fast replies! You are right, on my old stove the previous owners put it in upside down. I tried that, turning it over before I posted.. it does not fit. Too big?! Should I take some pliers and pull it in?

Calef said:
Thanks for the fast replies! You are right, on my old stove the previous owners put it in upside down. I tried that, turning it over before I posted.. it does not fit. Too big?! Should I take some pliers and pull it in?

Maybe some pictures would help before we tell you to start 'fixing' things. :)

Thx for the reply. I'm too beat from the move and the failed pipe install + 2 hrs of trying to make it work to post photos. Imagine the smaller end, that's supposed to go into the top of the stove... Just too dang big! Like a 1/16th of an inch on all sides. I tried all sorts of persuasion techniques to shrink the diameter... None worked :( I think the pipe musta gotten stretched out when it was installed backward before.

But... This could be a good thing, cause now I can get one with a flu built in. Is that advisable? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks! Calef

Calef said:
Thx for the reply. I'm too beat from the move and the failed pipe install + 2 hrs of trying to make it work to post photos. Imagine the smaller end, that's supposed to go into the top of the stove... Just too dang big! Like a 1/16th of an inch on all sides. I tried all sorts of persuasion techniques to shrink the diameter... None worked :( I think the pipe musta gotten stretched out when it was installed backward before.

But... This could be a good thing, cause now I can get one with a flu built in. Is that advisable? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks! Calef

By 'flue' do you mean a pipe damper? If so, I have had some great luck with one on the Heritage. I use on every burn. It keeps my pipe temps down. But, I have a good draft. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, pipe damper is what I meant. LONG day! I like the idea of added controls. My stove growing up always had one.

Double wall? Single wall? What do the real stove gurus run for a vent pipe? Clearance is 18 to combustible.

Calef said:
Yeah, pipe damper is what I meant. LONG day! I like the idea of added controls. My stove growing up always had one.

Double wall? Single wall? What do the real stove gurus run for a vent pipe? Clearance is 18 to combustible.

I use double wall for the Heritage for clearance purposes only. The other two stoves are single wall.

To see how I use the pipe damper (which may, or may not work for you) you can read about it here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83823/P0/

I bought a new pipe and it dropped right in. The old one musta been stretched from improper install. Just did a break in burn, going to do it again tomorrow AM, then let it rip tomorrow night :)

Thx for all the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.