High Sky Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
High sky and clear, pressure up and on the rise. Draft is weak and fire is tougher to keep running clean. Any smoke I see seems to want to blow down before it drifts off. My stove wants a lot more air on days like this. Not a day for big honking logs. Maybe later.

Usually our stove likes high pressure clear days. What is the outdoor temp? That has more influence on our stove. How much chimney is on the Jotul?

Usually our stove likes high pressure clear days. What is the outdoor temp? That has more influence on our stove. How much chimney is on the Jotul?
Oh like 26-27'. Cold enough today around 28. Drafts OK after a load or two but not great. Other day with weather moving in draft was much stronger. House in a hollow so may experience some hyper-local condition but pretty consistent observation.

Should draw like a hoover. When was it last cleaned, cap included?

Been pondering this observation on and off for a while before making this post. I don't follow how a high pressure system would be better for draft. I can understand if the effect is insignificant or at least not as significant compared to outdoor temps.

So this is what I'm thinking at this point. My stove/house suffers to a degree from the stack effect. Stove is installed in a lower level that is like a walkout basement. Although there is a true basement under other parts of the house there is not one under the stove room which is on a slab. There are two levels of the house higher the stove room. Once hot it drafts well and there are times when it drafts "like a Hoover".

The barometric pressure outside was about 30.5 and rising when I wrote the post. I have a barometer in the stove room that is reading 29.5. To be honest I've always figured it was wrong as its just a cheapy so I never paid much attention to it. But, if its any where near accurate this may explain the issue I have been observing. If the stove is in a low pressure area relative to the upper levels then perhaps during periods of high pressure the situation is somewhat worse.

It's not like I can't run the insert but I have to leave the primary open a good deal more than on days with low pressure days which cuts the secondaries a bit.

Is there possibly air leakage somewhere in the floors above the stove? This could be an open window, exhaust fan, attic vent, unsealed, recessed ceiling cans, etc..

Is there possibly air leakage somewhere in the floors above the stove? This could be an open window, exhaust fan, attic vent, unsealed, recessed ceiling cans, etc..
Oh there is most definitely leaks above! I have wonderful airflow out of the stove room. No doorways or transoms allows heat right up to third floor hallway. But...there is a leaky attic stair and the AC return in that hall. Attic has an gable end vent/fan. I was set to seal it over the winter but got the advice here not to do that. I figured it would slow heat loss until I do a better job sealing/insulating, keeping the attic colder which would (I reasoned), be OK since the attic is reasonably well insulated.

I'll bet if you seal them up you will reduce negative pressure down below and draft should improve.

I'll bet if you seal them up you will reduce negative pressure down below and draft should improve.
Think attic vent and stair? Stair is a bit more involved. Having it be a little more, consistent, shall we say wouldn't suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.