Hopper extension for a Mt. Vernon AE insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evil

Nov 24, 2008
Ontario, where it's cold
Hey guys! I have been playing with the idea of building a hopper extension for my insert. Being that the insert is in an interior wall of my home and I have full access to the rear. Because of this I was thinking maybe making a metal hopper with a 3" or larger diameter metal drop tube that will fill the current hopper on my stove. Has anybody tried this yet with an insert or has thoughts, issues with this idea? Thanks!

Good Luck, this is one of the biggest problems with the design of the AE Insert, the hopper is just to damn small.

It is like having a 500 HP car that only holds 5 gallons of fuel!

It needs to be air tight. The current lid on the AE has rubber gaskets to provide the correct air draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.