How about some pictures of Wood Boxes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DuckDog said:
Not so much a box as a ring....

My wife bought me this for Christmas last year. Super cool, imo. It was hand forged by a local blacksmith. It holds about 2 average days of wood.

Picture113.jpg

Picture143.jpg

I have that exact same ring, you sure a local guy did it? I think I bough mine at Lowes or somewhere like that.

tfdchief said:
Been using this for many years.

We use one just like that. My mother bought it somewhere and gave it to us a few years ago. It is nice hold about two stove loads in it and holds the mess. It just made it into the picture below.

Attachments

• DSC05653 (600 x 800).jpg
    DSC05653 (600 x 800).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 581
DuckDog

Sweeeeet.

firefighterjake said:
Built out of scrap tongue and groove pine boards I had left over.

Has a plastic bin -- originally to contain any water that would come off the snow or ice as my wood was under tarps in Year One. Now the plastic tote helps contain the dirt, bark, mess that comes off the wood.

A separate side allows me to store my kindling, paper, lighter, Super Cedars, etc.

Hooks are on the side for my gloves, flashlight, IR thermometer, etc.

Nice!

SKIN052

Hey, that looks cool. Rustic and functional.

webby3650 said:
Mine was a hand me down, it's been around and it shows!

Looks perfect too.

Wingman, Very friggen cool man!

Ooops. Didn't know when I quoted it would duplicate the pictures. Sorry. :) Try to take them out.

I just been fillin' up the hearth extension to just under the level of the door's swing--anyone thing this is an issue? The wood barely changes temp.

S

Attachments

• DSC01080.jpg
    DSC01080.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 593
thinkxingu said:
I just been fillin' up the hearth extension to just under the level of the door's swing--anyone thing this is an issue? The wood barely changes temp.

S
Embers would be the only thing to be concerned about. Speaking for myself, I make quite a mess on a daily basis.
Pine is another. Warm it up, and it'll ooze pitch on the nice tile.

Flatbedford said:
tfdchief said:
Been using this for many years.

We use one just like that. My mother bought it somewhere and gave it to us a few years ago. It is nice hold about two stove loads in it and holds the mess. It just made it into the picture below.
Flatbed, I think it is a duplicate!

weatherguy said:
AppalachianStan said:
I had nothing better to do today so I finally got around to building my wood box.

Are those eco bricks underneath the box?

And a stack of encyclopedias next to it?!
(I have a bunch of those in the shed that the previous owners left... hmmmm... eco books?!)

Right now I'm just using a black plastic tub but I keep going to the local auction waiting for a nice interesting box. They always have steamer chests but we want something a little more contemporary.

DuckDog said:

My wife bought me this for Christmas last year. Super cool, imo. It was hand forged by a local blacksmith. It holds about 2 average days of wood.

Picture113.jpg

Picture143.jpg

Not to high jack a post, but Duck, those are some big splits in that 27. I have a T5 and burn quite a bit smaller wood, does it handle that size just fine?

Crate we receive blast cabinet window glasses in.... Sanded a bit...perfect for splits and kindlin'

2011-12-16205602.jpg

LLigetfa said:
The only pic I have of mine was when I was working on my kin'lin stash. It is a Vermont Castings. I wanted to go bigger but the wife vetoed it.

100_0392.JPG

Where can I get one of these?

DuckDog said:

Picture113.jpg

Picture143.jpg
Nice.....looks like something out of a magazine

Not fancy, this is a scrounged box I was going to take apart for the plywood, but thanks to this thread I had the idea to make a wood box out of it. After the burning season I think I'll stain it to mach the trim of the room and save the JD emblem in the process.

Attachments

• 722a.jpg
    722a.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 407
My wood holder looks a lot like Duckdogs' ring. I got mine at a yard sale. It is slightly broken but with wood in it it is stable. It allows good airflow so that the wood dries, but it doesn't hold any of the dirt or bits of bark that fall off. This would be a mess on a carpet, but on the tile floor it isn't a big deal to vacuum up the mess.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 285
heres mine...

Attachments

• DSCN3367.jpg
    DSCN3367.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 207
Status
Not open for further replies.