How bad has this winter been?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceguy4

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2011
Upstate, NY
I just wondering. how many more pellets are you gonna use this year For example...for the last 3 years...X amount were needed ...this year I'll be needing x more due to how cold it has been...

Last year I started late and used 7+ tons. this year I'm heating 1000 sq ft more(an additional building) and its looking like its going to take over 11 tons.

:mad:

About 20% more pellets worse. Keep BB :)

Reactions: BrotherBart
ive already burned more than I did the whole winter and im looking at a full ton more minimum at this point.

been cold. have even chatted with the spouse about adding a woodstove and rearranging my study to install a small pellet stove back here.

cool part is the new smartstoves we have in wood are going to be ready for serial production soon, and the pellet units may be ready as well, so I gotta be able to "beta test" them better to do both at once ;)

Dang stoves need some unbiased testing. ==c

ive already burned more than I did the whole winter and im looking at a full ton more minimum at this point.

been cold. have even chatted with the spouse about adding a woodstove and rearranging my study to install a small pellet stove back here.

cool part is the new smartstoves we have in wood are going to be ready for serial production soon, and the pellet units may be ready as well, so I gotta be able to "beta test" them better to do both at once ;)
Get me one of those new pellet stoves if you want a good acid test. They test all those fancy cars around here somewhere in the winter.

I think the first qualification should be having three ESW stoves in the house already. :cool:

Dang stoves need some unbiased testing. ==c

trust me , im unbiased when im at home. if the stove doesn't "move me" i'll be having "engineers benedict" for breakfast the next day.

been watching development of the big box , trying to get a 3CF model with this tech rolled top like the 30 (smaller 2.4/2.5 ish box has a flat top) its pretty kool to watch the burns on it , the fire literally looks like its out but when you duck down and look up you see the secondaries. hard to find air balance though its a high firebox. huge glass face on this monster too easily the biggest glass we've ever used. we can meet the current standards with it easily as it sits, but were working on trying to get below the "magic number' with it, so far its been quite a challenge. the smaller one is already certified, I do not remember the numbers at this time (but I want one)

I'll be buying my 5th ton on Saturday. Might have to buy a few loose bags after that. 4 -4.5 ton is the usual for me.

My first year and looking at 3 ton...if stove gets fixed soon.

But, haven't burned any oil this year.

Reactions: Hoot23
How about the same functioning stove for over 15 years?Shows we care!;lol

when I was 11 years old , my dad bought a stove from my current boss's company (esw) that same stove was still in use with every single component of the stove (except the door gasket) still in the stove and still in good shape(even the original blower. we removed that stove in 2012 and I installed a 28-3500 in his basement in the same spot, I repainted it and installed it in another house which was in need of heat and its still firing as we speak. didn't even need to replace a brick. will that work? i'm 48 now BTW

when I was 11 years old , my dad bought a stove from my current boss's company (esw) that same stove was still in use with every single component of the stove (except the door gasket) still in the stove and still in good shape(even the original blower. we removed that stove in 2012 and I installed a 28-3500 in his basement in the same spot, I repainted it and installed it in another house which was in need of heat and its still firing as we speak. didn't even need to replace a brick. will that work? i'm 48 now BTW
That's awsom,but bart and i offer to "test" your new designs!==c

i'm starting into my fourth ton already.
only burned 4.5 last year.
i'd be happy if i match that this year.
but it looks like i may exceed that mark.
once it warms up i'll be doing all i can to coast a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.