How can I insulate pipe to run it out back wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGStG1aholic

Oct 16, 2012
I've got a question please and what a better place to ask it_g

I'm putting a wood stove in my shed and need to run the 6" single wall pipe out the top of the back wall. The stove is 3' tall and the height of the wall is 8'. In order to keep the incline of the pipe closer to 135degrees rather than a 90 I need to run the pipe just a few inches away from the ceiling of the inside of the shed where it exits. I saw someplace where 8" clearance is recommended between double wall pipe and combustable ceiling. Would I be able to build my own pipe by taking my single wall 6"(insulating the outside of it) and putting it inside a section of 8" ID insulated double wall pipe and maybe put some tin on the plywood ceiling(or possibly replace that plywood part of the ceiling with something non-combustable(such as?).

Not worried about codes or regulations as my shed has'nt followed any rules at this point of time thus far.
Any info greatly appreciated on how to do a backyard fix for my dilemma. -bow smiley- Thanks.

What are you using as a wall pass through (thimble) ?

pen

What are you using as a wall pass through (thimble) ?

pen

Sounds like he is considering putting the 6" inside an 8" and using that as the thimble...

You can do it that way but you probably won't have to worry about having a shed to heat next winter. You're attempting to do something with the connector pipe that it hasn't been approved for. Codes are one thing. Safety is a completely different concern. Your call...

You might want to speak to webbie about this approach. He burnt down a shed as a young fellow with this approach. And they were living in it!

It's a matter of clearances. Keep that pipe 18" in all directions away from anything combustible.

Reactions: DAKSY
Or is this an all metal shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.