How do I figure out sq ft with high ceilings??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possum512

Oct 23, 2016
Northern NJ
This is probably something I should know but I'm going crazy over trying to pick the right wood burner and I can't figure out my sq footage. I'm putting the stove in my basement that has a bedroom off the room it will be in. Next to the stove area there are stairs that open to the rest of my living space. The two rooms downstairs are about 400 sq ft. My upstairs has my living room/kitchen/dining room pretty much open and it is 27'x25' but the ceiling goes from 8' up to 15' diagonally. Without the high ceiling and the bedrooms down the hall I have about 1200' it seems. I would assume the ceilings would add to it. I would really like to try to heat my 3 other bedrooms but they are down the hall and would add another 650 sq ft to the total. My goal would be to heat the house entirely but getting the heat into the bedrooms seem challenging. If I'm able to I guess I would be heating around 1850 sq ft without taking the ceilings into account. What size stove would I need?

heating from a basement can be tricky, some people have great results some people have a 95F basement and a 65F upstairs. How well insulated is your basement? uninsulated cement walls and floors are major heat sinks, about a 1/3rd of all the heat you make will go into them if they're not insulated. as for stove size don't really go by the square footage ratings from most manufactures or BTU ratings either. go by fire box size. the bigger the firebox the more heat you will get out of the stove. with those ceilings and the other square footage you have listed i'd suggest something along the 3 cubic foot size.

Sq ftg is usually used with the assumption of 8ft ceilings. A few companies used to list cubic ftg heated, which is what you are looking for.

edyit hits the issues with basement heating, especially if there are uninsulated walls. Is this a half=basement that switches to crawlspace under the main floor bedrooms? Based on what's been posted a 3 cu ft stove seems a good fit, though it will be hot in the basement.

The basement is insulated. It's a family room and a bedroom. It also connects to a hallway that leads to the attached garage. The hall has a bathroom and laundry off it. I can close a door to the hall and to the bedroom leaving only the family room that is insulated. The chimney sweep guy in town recommended the blaze king little princess. New he said it Would run me around $3700 installed. I'm just debating if I should go with a used one but I don't know enough about them to make a decision. I might have to rely on him since I know so little about it. Here's a few shots of the basement and upstairs to heat

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg