How do you find a good dealer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeWizMan

Nov 29, 2006
Suburbs west of Detroit
This is my first post as I just registered. I have been burning wood in a wood stove for a little over 10 years and heating 3/4 of our house in the process. I am interested in heating the other 1/4 with wood as well. We have a metal fireplace on the 1/4 side of the house that we want to install a wood insert into. I have been looking at many brands of inserts and have come to realize that many would work for us. I am now thinking that one of the most critical choices regarding this project is picking a good, honest, knowledgeable dealer. How do you determine a good dealer?

gwm

W.O.M. Word of mouth.

Where are you located ?
What are your stove choices so far?
You just want to heat the 1/4 home with the insert or go 1/2 and 1/2 with the house ?
You can get more help per stove choices if you give us your home lay out and information.

specifics be damned....you choose a good dealer by word of mouth. Go to a friend who you know and trust their judgement, who also burns wood, and ask them. Likely they may have ideas. Then go and talk to the dealers. Whats your "gut" feeling? Check them out with the local BBB. Be forewarned here, youre looking for the number of complaints against them.....no record of anything with the BBB is generally a GOOD thing.

I asked people at work about local dealers.

Same name came up three times. Saw them at a local home show, and visited their shop before having them come to the house to evaluate the install. Now having done business with them, I would also recommend them.

Ask around, friends, co-workers, church members, etc. Also, where are you located, maybe someone here on the board would have suggestions.

Good luck!

I can say that I just got lucky on mine, but then again, I didn't have much choice as they are the only Quadrafire dealership in my area that I know of. I don't know anybody around me that had a wood stove so there wasn't anybody to ask and I was looking on the internet to decide which stove to get, before I even thought about which dealership. I drove down to the store one saturday morning and talked to the guys which I talked on the phone before and they were very nice, professional and knowledgeable so I signed a contract with them at the spot.

Jay (in NJ)

There are no good dealers. :) Word of mouth is a good indicator. Though not the only thing I would rely on. I recently cleaned a stove installed backasswards, it burned so the customer was happy. He spread the word to friends and family about the wonderful company that just put in his new stove blah blah blah. Come to find out the damn thing was a ticking time bomb ready to burn his house down and take the family pooch with it. So definately don't just go on word of mouth. Also don't assume that a reputable manufacturer really gives a _____ who's selling their stoves so long as many are going out the door. One guy I know of literally leveled a cabin, in a discussion with the manufacturer it came out that they didn't really care about his install practices because he sold so many stoves, they didn't care about any possible liability because they're self insured. NFI certification is good, but as Elk has pointed out he's inspected hack jobs done by NFI certified folks as well. The best advice I could give is the same as Harry's go with your gut.

I concur with all of the above. Word of mouth will send you in the right direction. Also, your first impression in the first minute of being in the place is going to be accurate. Do your research on the stove you want online and then when you go to the dealer's you will be less distracted by the whiz bang stuff on the stoves and can pay more attention to who you are dealing with and your impression of how they do business.

I don't think "bad" dealers last long in the hearth business.

I have to agree with everyone on word of mouth, that seems to work for just about any industry. In my situation, I didn't know too many people who burned and could give me good advice. Thankfully I had found this forum and learned quite a bit before visiting the dealers. Armed with this knowledge, I was able to evaluate the dealers I visited and form a more accurate impression of them. In the end, word of mouth and your gut will lead you in the right direction.

What about talking to independent inspectors, chimney sweeps and chimney repair professionals in your area. Remeber some may have financial ties to the shops you are inquiring about. Try to talk to them "off the record". They may tell you who's work they found problems with and who did a good job.
Another method albeit more work. At least to check accuracy, integrity and knowledge, use a bit of subterfuge. Have an associate contact them, go in the shop asking specific questions. Log the answers. Then go in separately and talk to a different employee at the same shop. Use same questions. Compare responses. A lot can be learned. Are the answers exactly the same? Are they contradictory? Neither is good.
Good detective work is important. If things are done wrong they have insurance, do you have another life?

ColdinNJ's question idea is a good thing, just be aware that there isnt always one definitive answer to everything...as is frequently evidenced here in the forum. What color is the sky? Well, its blue, right? Not necessarily. To one it might be lapis-lazuli, to another, it might be grey (heck- why not? its cloudy today).....word of mouth might be a great starting point, as Shane points out. I might even stick my neck out here and say that even if the salesperson doesnt know the answer, their willingness to find out can also be telling...."ohm....what grade steel is the top plate of that stove?'.......is the answer "a good one", or is it.."I dont know, but let me make a phone call or two to try and find out....."? Depending upon the stove, the unit itself is only maybe half of the equation....the other half is the dealer you choose to do business with. Now, some stoves are pretty straight-forward and you might never deal with that dealer again....many wood and coal stoves are like that, although pellet stoves I submit to be more different due to their complexity.

A few questions for the dealers tho:

1. How long have you been in business?
2. to the salesperson: How long have you been in the hearth industry?
3. How long have you sold this brand of unit?
4. Do you have any satisfied customer references?
5. etc.

Another tactic would be to just browse for awhile, keeping an ear open to the goings-on in the shop. Listen to how they deal with other customers, how they deal with phone calls, etc. Talk with other "browsers" and customers while youre there. Most stove companies realize you are going to spend a sunstantial chunk of change on the unit, and will allow you to wander adn browse to your hearts' content.....this is a great opportunity to listen, as well as research.

Good Hunting!

You could do what I did checked the local dealers listed with this site. I bought from one listed and was very happy. Higgins had great people who knew what they were talking about and a gorgeous show room. Jim, Happy with the dealer.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Roospike: I live in the burbs west of Detroit. The inserts we are looking at are Lopi-Answer, Jotul-Kennebec, Regency-1100, and the Englander-13-NCI. In terms of how much of our house gets heated by which stove, makes no difference to me. I just want to heat the entire house and I don't want the stoves to compete with each other if that is possible. Our house is difficult to describe but it is a very linear rambling ranch type with bedrooms on one end, living area on the other end, and kitchen/dining in the middle. Of the stoves I mentioned do you have any recommendations?

HarryBack: The only other person I know that burns wood, bought their stove from the same place we did and both of us would like to find a better dealer.

Kenny: No body where I work burns wood for heat, they all think I'm wierd.

Shane: I understand going with my gut - that's my normal mode of operation. I was sort of hoping to do this project with my mind for a change.

BrotherBart: I will be sure to ask how long they have been in business - good point.

MrGriz: I too am grateful for having found this forum. At this point I am very impressed.

coldinnj: I will give the detective work some thought. However, I like to think of myself as a forthright kind of fella, that tells it likes I see em.

jrandall: I am just beginning to investigate this site - there is a lot going on here!

Again, Thank You All your responses are appreciated.

gwm

GeeWizMan
forthright kind of fella, that tells it likes I see em.
I can appreciate being that kind of guy. Good virtuue. Tend to be that way myself. However remember that not all people are that way. Although many dealers are very good, honest, hard working people. Some are motivated enough by the money factor or any other motivation that it can cause a credibility gap in their statements. Hence unfortunately the honest upfront are often taken by the subversive or decietful.
As many stove shops are a very relaxed environment, what HarryBack said is good also. You may find it interesting to hear what remarks, comments etc they say to each other, if they feel you are not listening, after hanging up the phone from a customer.
Example: One dealer I went to, I looked a t a piece of SS liner outside in the "pile". When I asked him how much for it. He looked it up in the book and quoted me a very high price for it (higher then standard). When I asked why so much as it was used. He stated it was not used, merely left over from a job and was brand new. My examination showed the burn on it as well as severe enough bends that I would have to decide if they would have negatively affected the structural integrity. I left without further comment. Another dealer claimed that a used stove was barely fired up. In perfect shape. My examinations showed part of the grate had been melted away. Lots of restoration on the unit. Hence one of my many reasons for a thread about complaints posted elswhere on this forum.
In the final analysis. Find a knowledgeable, honest dealer. The money saved will not compare to the service recieved from a good dealer.
Caveat emptor

Warning: not to be taken seriously.

The best dealers will ask you for your references and do a background check on you. That way you know you are dealing with a real business and not just some local folks who tend to trust that you won't be a bad customer. A good dealer will ask you sign a release stating that you alone are responsible for your choices and that the counsel received in the stove shop is for recreational use only. Said release will also clarify that you won't be calling the dealer every time you can't figure out how to tell the difference between seasoned wood and green wood and then decide to blame the stove for too much smoke or not enough draft, etc., and then threaten to sue the dealer for selling such a peice of junk. As the buyer and user of the stove you will agree to clean and maintain the stove according to manufacturers recommendations and promise never to overfire the stove while trying to heat your entire two-level , 2000 square foot house with poor insulation and an entire glass wall overlooking the deck. You, as the buyer will agree to call the dealerto schedule routine service during the spring and summer months and avoid calling for routine service between September and March. You will agree to pay the dealer's high, but valuable, labor rates to care for your appliance and climb on your steep roof to clean your chimney without complaint and in the time allowed by the dealer. If you are found to be a good customer, after the dealer checks your references, you may be allowed to purchase a quality stove from the dealer and have it delivered or installed as soon as the other 100 good customes who came before you have been serviced. Enjoy your stove buying experience.

With no seriousness,
Sean

Yep. That's why I had to buy from a lumber company and install it myself. I didn't pass the background check, credit check and belong to the right church. And when the local dealers heard I was a Democrat they wouldn't return calls anymore.

Very good Seaken ROFL
Boy these dealer checks on us customers are tough. I almost passed but couldnt get through the blood test. I have a phobia of needles.
I also failed to be able to convert the point of transition in state of matter of the coal into Kelvin in the allotted time.
Know of any dealers with lower standards?

Status
Not open for further replies.