How hot have you got...!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
skinanbones said:
I have a P.E. super 27 and i've had several times were it's been up over 1400 f on my probe thermometer, the worst was probally around 2100 f and that was scary you could hear things moving around. I just shut the air and my pipe damper and within the hour it was down around 1000 f which is closer to normal

Oh... good... :) There's someone who has pushed their P.E. further than mine... and there was no explosion! Great.

I could certainly hear things sputtering and moaning all the way up the pipes. I went outside to look up at the external pipe, just to make sure there were no roman candles coming out of the top, and you could hear the whole pipe system just crackling! It was a bit unnerving.

Not something I want to repeat, even though no obvious ills resulted.

Anything one would look for to determine if any damage to a stove/pipe system resulted?

Stove top close to 900 still didn't glow anywhere!

CodyWayne718 said:

1085ºF on the left door last year some time. No glass in my doors, so it glowed in dim light.

The left face, that's the trouble spot on my stove. Replaced the left andiron a few weeks ago. It was fried pretty bad. I still have it, I'll try to remember to take a shot of it and post it to show what 20 years of running a stove hot can do to a piece of cast iron.

Battenkiller said:
CodyWayne718 said:

1085ºF on the left door last year some time. No glass in my doors, so it glowed in dim light.

The left face, that's the trouble spot on my stove. Replaced the left andiron a few weeks ago. It was fried pretty bad. I still have it, I'll try to remember to take a shot of it and post it to show what 20 years of running a stove hot can do to a piece of cast iron.

BK, why do you use andirons? Functional or aesthetics? I never really felt the need for them in my Vigilant. Just curious.

Woody Stover said:
Everyone needs one of these; When you hear it hit the floor, you know she's gettin' a bit warm! :lol:

"It may be placed on the top, front, or side surface. Magnet will hold steel at temperatures up to 800 degrees Fahrenheit."

http://www.northlineexpress.com/item/5CN-3-30/Inferno-Stove-Top-Thermometer-for-Wood-Stoves

I think that "Too Hot" zone on this thermo is a little broad. I guess it depends on the stoves and it's probably made for more modern ones with CATS. 650-750 ain't nuthin' for my stove though I don't intentionally keep it there for long.

I've pegged my thermo at 900 a couple of times. Who knows how hot it REALLY was. Didn't do it on purpose and it couldn't have been more than a few short minutes. There was no glowing anywhere and no damage.

Kenster said:
BK, why do you use andirons? Functional or aesthetics? I never really felt the need for them in my Vigilant. Just curious.

You know, that's a very good question. Only thing they do for me is to hold the wood in place on startup. I never open the doors after startup, always load from the top. Kinda superfluous now that I think about it. In fact, now I feel silly for buying a new one. Shoulda just taken the other one off. :shut:

Woody Stover said:
Everyone needs one of these; When you hear it hit the floor, you know she's gettin' a bit warm! :lol:

Before it hits the floor it slides down the pipe with a very distinctive sound. I got very, very familiar with that sound last year until I learned just how fast this puppy can hit the moon. Got a nice 18" skid mark going down the pipe after several soundings of the "alarm".:red:

Status
Not open for further replies.