how large is 4 cords dumped in a pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to say until it's stacked...it's a lot of wood though. But if you can imagine a little less than 2 mini vans crumpled up laying in the driveway...that'll play out to about 4 cords.

That is a lot of wood, if they deliver it one cord at a time, you might be able to stack one cord and see if it a true cord (4x4x8)....BTW, $160 is a good price for a cord, is it all hardwoods?

Bout up to oh say here ----------> ;-)

Hard to describe in any detail.....but it will be a decent sized pile.

jdowd said:
just trying to get an idea I'm paying 160 a cord seasoned a minimum of 6 months

"seasoned a minimum of 6 months"

If I had a dollar everytime I heard that I'd have free wood for 10 years........good price though, when they deliver the first cord you'll be able to tell...

WoodButcher

Even if they short you, you're still doing pretty well :)

(unless it's not seasoned, of course.. I posted here earlier that I bought "seasoned" wood that was also freshly split, so it was more like "slightly weathered")

Heres what 2 cords looks liked piled.

Attachments

• IMG_0368_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0368_1_1.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 702
So are you saying each pile is a cord?

Each pile is close to 1 cord, the pile on the right is slightly larger then the other.

I have a Dumpster that is 12x4x7 and if the 16" wood is thrown in by hand it is 2 cord stacked .Its around 20% diffrence . The pile when dumped is 11' wide 40" h x20' long . I would measure the truck lxwxh x 20% 24" logs needs around 25%.

I did pay $250/ cord and the wood was cut into log lengths 8 months ago.I did order 4 cord CSD and It was still wet after being processed but i did get delivery of 1 cord at a time. So i had it stacked it before the second cord came. The first cord measured accurately and the second cord was short. So i called the dealer and said i would only purchase more wood if it met my requirements... He did make up the difference and both the 2 subsequent cords were right on the nut. This young guy was new to the business so i had to give him a math lesson before the 3rd and 4th cords came. He was using 1.4 as a length multiplier for my wood and i corrected him and said a 16" log was only 1.33 feet. I was gentle with the boy/man 18 years old and he did finally figure it out, but I doubt he would have changed his multiplier if I hadn't challenged him and proved in a primitive way ( the only way that he could understand) that 16" wood was a decimal equivalent of 1.33. He did thank me and told me he was slow at math, but his partner and father were using the same decimal equivalents to measure their deliveries.

Imagine how many poor bastards are getting ripped off?

If the pile is close to a cone, then the formula is:

Volume = 1/3 x 3.14 x radius squared x height

A cone with a 10' circle base, 6' high: 1/3 x 3.14 x 5 x 5 x 6 = 157 cu ft, or just about 1-1/4 cords.

jebatty said:
If the pile is close to a cone, then the formula is:

Volume = 1/3 x 3.14 x radius squared x height

A cone with a 10' circle base, 6' high: 1/3 x 3.14 x 5 x 5 x 6 = 157 cu ft, or just about 1-1/4 cords.

So, a cord of wood equals 125 cu feet? I was wondering what it was...

Here's 4 cord of wood stacked. From left to right, the first pile is 10'x5'high, the next two that are side by side extending forward are 10'x5', the rear small pile (so I can blow the snow over it) is 10'x3-4', then the long row is 32'x5' (two 16' sections on end). They are all on blocks, which makes them about 6' from the ground, but the wood is actually piled about 5' high. And like most in the northeast, it has been getting rained on everyday this month. Hope this helps somewhat.

Attachments

• Library - 1960.jpg
    Library - 1960.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 409
thanks for all of the replies, a 40 ft. long pile is little more then i want to deal with this weekend. the 160 a cord price was for a minimum of 4 cords i think i'll order 2 @ 185 per, this will also give me a chance to stack & measure. and the last thing i want is 4 cords that aren't seasoned fully

jdowd said:
thanks for all of the replies, a 40 ft. long pile is little more then i want to deal with this weekend. the 160 a cord price was for a minimum of 4 cords i think i'll order 2 @ 185 per, this will also give me a chance to stack & measure. and the last thing i want is 4 cords that aren't seasoned fully

buy 4 thats a good price the 40 thing is if he drags it...and its 4 cds del sep.... get the 4

Your price for 4 cords is really good. I'm paying $330 per cord, 1 year dried, cut, split, and delivered. It is still much cheaper than oil at the price I'm paying.

A cone with a 10’ circle base, 6’ high: 1/3 x 3.14 x 5 x 5 x 6 = 157 cu ft, or just about 1-1/4 cords.
So, a cord of wood equals 125 cu feet? I was wondering what it was…

A cord of wood is 128 cubic feet. 1-1/4 cords = 160 cu ft. Thus my comment above "157 cu ft, or just about 1-1/4 cords."

Buy the four cords.
Buy a tarp to cover it.
Ignore until Ocober.

Plan B:
Put an ad in the paper claiming to be Hooters Hiring.
Have young ladies stack during "interviews".
Repeat every Saturday. Knock the stacks back down if necessary.

thanks for all of the replies, a 40 ft. long pile is little more then i want to deal with this weekend. the 160 a cord price was for a minimum of 4 cords i think i’ll order 2 @ 185 per, this will also give me a chance to stack & measure. and the last thing i want is 4 cords that aren’t seasoned fully

Is that the 4 cords @ $160 deal in the Pennysaver/Yankee Trader from the compost place? I saw that ad, but was leery of trying them out.

I'm curious to see what you get. I've been dealing with the same "Wood Dude" for years (not that place).

Status
Not open for further replies.