How many cords do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 15, 2022
Maryland
How many cords do you think are in this oak log from the fence to the end? What think ye?
C0639FBB-7A96-4DC9-A94C-1789DEBBAAD2.jpeg

16470981.jpg
This shed is 10 ft x 10 ft. We will guess and say your shed is 10 ft wide (might be 8 or 9 ft). So we'll use the shed as a reference point. The shed doors appear to be about 2.5 ft wide. The diameter of the tree is wider than one of those shed doors (>30"). We'll say 36" wide oak tree.

Now the length. Let's use the shed again. It is 10 ft wide. I'm getting 7.5 shed lengths = 7.5 x 10' = 75 ft. So, I'm going with a 36" wide tree that is 75 feet long. A cord is 128ft3. You have to use a math formula to figure the volume of a 36" diameter circle that is 75' long (so a cylinder). Next, compare it to a cord to see what you've got. I forget the equation.

If the shed is only 8 ft wide our numbers will need to be adjusted. The tree's diameter might be bigger than 36". I looked online for volume of cylinder and plugged in the numbers. Final Answer = 530.14 ft3. So, 530/128 = 4.14 cords. That is a big tree.

Last edited:
Don't keep us in suspense, we have a range of from less than a cord to over 4 cords. Get cutting, splitting and stacking!
This. Also diameter of tree would be a help. It never seems to be as much as I originally think it is when all said and done in my experience.

Reactions: NickW
I forgot, stacked wood has air volume, too. So final answer = 5 cords.

Reactions: patrickk222
I am going to say 2-3.

A solid 4 cords.

Well, time to nerd out!

1. Between the shed and the fence, there's a child's ride-on toy. It seems about same height as the diameter of the tree. Quick search on google places shows most of these toys are around 30in in height.

2. Plenty of resources for estimating cords of wood per tree based on diameter (https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs...-chart-average-volume-by-diameter-1ckry5w.pdf)

3. Places the tree in picture at ~2.25cords.

Caddy.jpg

Oh, you're not done yet? LOL

I tried to cut it at the fence and pinched the blade and bar in the damn tree!
If there's any indication that the kerf is starting to close, I stop and jam a plastic felling wedge into the top of the cut (or tap it in further with a hatchet.)

Reactions: arnermd
No rush. Most importantly, stay safe.

how much is past the fence?

how much is past the fence?
Yeah, if we're just talking the visible log I'd say 2+ cords. There may be quite a bit past the fence...unless the neighbor already cut it off and hauled it to his stacks. 😆

Yeah, if we're just talking the visible log I'd say 2+ cords. There may be quite a bit past the fence...unless the neighbor already cut it off and hauled it to his stacks. 😆
Price of the Fence Repair I guess