How many cords.... driftwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but it's already excessively seasoned- salt in fuelwood is a no-no per most mfgs.

Happy New Year.

Maybe in a soapstone, but last time I checked salt and metal don't get along very well.

Holy cow! That thing is huge! Amazing how these things happen. Trktrd, not in soapstone either as the stove is not 100% soapstone. There is still metal in there.

I'd burn it in a crappy $50 craigslist stove in the shed.

Definitely a lot of cords there though! Had to be a nice breeze to topple that guy over.

When they get that heavy and the soils is really wet they can fall over from their own weight! Especially close to a stream with erosion.

Damn...I want one of those to wash up on my beach (freshwater lake)!! I wouldn't know where to start with bucking something that gigantic though....

Well that is massive. A giant redwood maybe?

Seems to me, the salt would not make it past the exterior - right? Maybe you could power wash it and the cut, buck, and split that bad boy. Surely the interior would be safe. How about for boards or milling?

Neat picture, I'd swear it's photo shopped.

Like that reality show, what was it "swamp loggers" who were up there in the Pacific NW. A couple of clowns were pulling out logs that had been under water for several decades and the wood was preserved.

I am not totally convinced that the photo is real. If it is real. I'd hate to run my boat into that thing!

I've seen where they pull sunken logs off the bottom of the great lakes that have been down there for 100+ years. Supposed to make fantastic lumber.

I bet that would make some awesome hardwood floors!

Milling is where the money in that tree is. I can't imagine how nice those growth rings are. Furniture and flooring would be beautiful.

Matt

So it looks like about 8 ft in diameter. There is a seqoia right outside of my office that is about that big and several others on campus. They are talking about tearing down my building to put up a different one. That tree is slated to be cut. I can't wait to see the saw that takes it down. I tried calculating the amount of wood in it, I am guessing nearly 100 cords. I figure it is close to 200 feet tall. I have burned a whole lot of the branch wood from it. It is not the greatest firewood and burns a lot like cedar.

It's true that old ocean driftwood will be saturated with salt (and sand), but if that tree hasn't been in the water long there probably isn't much salt in it. Can't tell from that picture, but if it still has green foliage on the branches it would be fine.
I've processed bigger trees than that. :p

Let's just say that the tree is going to serve some useful purpose in the future and be milled. How the heck to you get something that big and heavy off the beach? Traction and tire/track flotation aren't going to come easy driving equipment down there, let alone carrying the weight of the tree out.

You have to wait for a spring tide and float it out.

lukem said:
Let's just say that the tree is going to serve some useful purpose in the future and be milled. How the heck to you get something that big and heavy off the beach? Traction and tire/track flotation aren't going to come easy driving equipment down there, let alone carrying the weight of the tree out.

Babe the Blue Ox.

firefighterjake said:
lukem said:

Babe the Blue Ox.

Duh! Why didn't I think of that?!

lukem said:

I'd say that the easiest thing to do would be to float the tree back out to sea with the use of an ocean going tug.

You can tell I'm land-locked because a boat didn't even occur to me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.