How Many Forum members Installed Their Own Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mostly done with my stove install. I put the chimney brackets on today and they really did stiffen the chimney. I live in Big Snow Country ...150" last winter. Here are a couple of photos that show my install and a photo of the roof snow in winter. Thanks to all the help I got from this forum. I know with the advice I got here has made my wood stove a safe install. Special thanks to "Be Green, Mike at Englander Stove, Hogz, Hanko, Tfin, Corrie P, and a host of others. Now that it is all said and done it seems like such an easy task, but I was completely ignorant before I got such good advice. Hopefully these photos will post.

Thanks again to all the dedicated people who walked me throught this project.

Attachments

• side yard ice migrating.JPG
    side yard ice migrating.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 295
  • Chimney bracket and cricket.jpg
    Chimney bracket and cricket.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 13-NC-Installation.jpg
    13-NC-Installation.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 316
I installed my Summit Insert, Full liner, block off plate, and tile work.

I really don't see why everybody, who's able bodied, doesn't do it themselves.

Attachments

• P1010113a.jpg
    P1010113a.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 275
I had help getting the stove in the house and put in place but installed the chimney, built the hearth, followed all codes, clearance, and shielding requirements with help from members on this site. In the end it passed inspection by the building inspector and my insurance company.

I put the stove in myself. when I first did it I had no liner. after a couple years and notification from a sweep that I had experienced a chimney fire, I did my own. Ovalized an 8 inch pipe to fit in a 6x14 inch chimney. absolute hell.but I saved a couple grand. my stove is 20 years old and I bought it second hand. I've rebuilt it and will probablybut a new fan on it this year.
When I put the stove it it basicly saved the house for me. I couldn't afford to heat the place. I look forward to football season in front of the stove.

I put mine in,.... well i did get some help lifting that heavy beast in place. didn't want to break a leg off.

JPapiPE said:
I'm mostly done with my stove install. I put the chimney brackets on today and they really did stiffen the chimney. I live in Big Snow Country ...150" last winter. Here are a couple of photos that show my install and a photo of the roof snow in winter. Thanks to all the help I got from this forum. I know with the advice I got here has made my wood stove a safe install. Special thanks to "Be Green, Mike at Englander Stove, Hogz, Hanko, Tfin, Corrie P, and a host of others. Now that it is all said and done it seems like such an easy task, but I was completely ignorant before I got such good advice. Hopefully these photos will post.

Thanks again to all the dedicated people who walked me throught this project.

JA, looks like you are ready for winter. Nice job on that hearth! The stove together with the new insulation is going to make a really big difference this winter. Now keep the wood top-covered and you will be soon a happy camper sitting with your feet up in front of the new stove. Congratulations.

Great install Joe, everything looks nice. As BG said it will all soon be worth the effort/money you spent on the project. Glad to have helped in my small way.

Oh and as to the original question, I installed my stove, class A chimney and built my hearthpad as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.