How many of you did your own install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish On

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2009
The other Cape..
I'm just wondering what the numbers are of who did there own and if they pulled a permit.

If you were putting in an insert into a firepalce, which u know is safe and sound and works.

There seems to be a gray area where a Building inspector does not even know what to look for?

Seen them look at what is listed by the manufacter limits and they are like good.
Not to sound like a pro but, you go to any big lot store and you see weekend warriors doing electrial work who ask the guy working there questions.

So if you have a clue would you spend the cash and pull a permit. Of course you called your insurance company before hand.

Even though some inspectors have no idea what to look for, IMO I would spend the $$ and get the
install permitted regardless who does it.

I wouldn't want to give the insurance company any excuses on why they wouldn't cover a
house fire, even if the stove had nothing to do with it.

EDIT: one stove installed by dealer, other installed ourselves

I had mine installed by the dealer. I could have and should have done it myself. After the fact, the piping was leaking on startup, shutdown and when in maint mode. The dealer told me 3 weeks before they could come back and adress it, but go ahead and use it, you should be OK. I fixed it myself with guidance from a user here.

During the process, I learned alot about how the venting and stove works, I also learned that the dealer installed the piping 3/4 of an inch lower than the stove's exhaust. I had to make due with the height difference because they also cut into a wall stud that was not 18 on center (they did not check before cutting the hole). Long story short, if I had done it myself it would have taken all day, but would have been done right. Dealer took less than 90 minutes.

I called the town who said no permit, but an inspection after by the Building inspector may be in order. He said it was and that he would need the manuals from my stove to do it? Oh yeah and $25.00 fee. Nice.

If you have good mechanical skills, get some good vent piping (ICC worked very well after cleaning 2 gaskets from some goop that should have been caught by the installer) and follow the instructions and clearances. It is not hard at all.

Standalone install by myself and well some help to move the thing. I didn't pull a permit. I did follow up with the insurance company. They asked a few questions of a DIY install or dealer. When i said DIY, their feelers go up and asked a bunch of questions. I of course gave them all the right answers and also encouraged them to come take a look. When all was said and done no one came to look at the install. Regardless if the building inspector knows what he is looking for or not, you better feel comfortable to fire that thing up. If you can say to yourself, i took every precaution, every stove spec clearance, every common sense thing involved into your install. You probably have a better install by DIY then a pro anyway. Cause I don't know about you, but i go overkill making things bigger, badder, better, safer,...etc..... and care more for my family then a random installer would.

I would always pull a permit, cover your hiney and contact the insurance company. Self installs are pretty easy with the proper guidance and the ability to read an owners manual. Like Tkrock says, overkill is a nice thing when doing work on your own home

Fish On said:
I'm just wondering what the numbers are of who did there own and if they pulled a permit.

If you were putting in an insert into a firepalce, which u know is safe and sound and works.

There seems to be a gray area where a Building inspector does not even know what to look for?

Seen them look at what is listed by the manufacter limits and they are like good.
Not to sound like a pro but, you go to any big lot store and you see weekend warriors doing electrial work who ask the guy working there questions.

So if you have a clue would you spend the cash and pull a permit. Of course you called your insurance company before hand.

You may be better served creating a poll?
No permit required for me. Self installed, free standing, direct vented, no code in my area, fire chief told me to follow manufacturers installation instructions. No inspection required by fire or building inspectors, notified insurance and included pictures saved email replys for proof. Because I already have a fireplace my insurance did not go up a penny.
If you are not mechanically inclined at all, or your installation is complex, perhaps you should have it professionally installed. I thought it was very simple and the hardest part was actually moving the 400lb stove.

My town regulates building a shed more than installing a pellet stove, but that's fine with me.

Mike -

these is what I thought. I used to be a chimmney sweep and have done a ton of relines, heck we were one of the first to do them before anyone.

I have my staging up and I'm ready. I did call my insurance and they said no worries, have it written also.

And to be honest I'm so anal when it comes to things I know that my work would be better then someone else. Not to knock anyone who is an installer.

thanks

I did my own install.
Read the pellet stove manual and made sure I meet all the installation requirements.
Went to my local building inspector and had to provide him the installation manual. Took out a permit and did the install.
Inspector came and he knew less than I did about how it was to be installed.
The only thing else I added to make me feel safe is I put in an AC operated with battery back up carbon monoxide monitor.

I did my own install. All the offsets and clearances were well documented in the manual.
My insurance company was notified and I had to fill out a form. No increase in rate but I'm covered.

The only trouble I had was with the vent pipe; I don't recommend Duravent. It spews smoke from every seam, joint, cleanout and rivet. Garbage, IMO

Did my own install...did not pull a permit....went off of manufacturers recommendations...The funny thing is I did contact my insurance company and he asked "was it professionally installed?"...I said yes it was....he asked "who did it?"....I said I did, I consider myself a professional and I consider it a professional installation. He said "ok, thanks".

Romy said:
I did my own install. All the offsets and clearances were well documented in the manual.
My insurance company was notified and I had to fill out a form. No increase in rate but I'm covered.

The only trouble I had was with the vent pipe; I don't recommend Duravent. It spews smoke from every seam, joint, cleanout and rivet. Garbage, IMO

I second this...I have high temp silicone tape on the joints....works great and come apart easily for cleaning. You would think Duravent would have made a better product, though. Maybe it's better now since mine is about 4 years old now.

tkrock said:
you better feel comfortable to fire that thing up. If you can say to yourself, i took every precaution, every stove spec clearance, every common sense thing involved into your install. You probably have a better install by DIY then a pro anyway. Cause I don't know about you, but i go overkill making things bigger, badder, better, safer,...etc..... and care more for my family then a random installer would.

X2

Brother and I did ours five years ago. We spent the extra $ and went with
4" pellet vent all the way up the chimney. We aren't stove installers but
we followed the manual and did it exactly the way the shop would have -
saving ourselves the $500 they wanted for the install. As was mentioned,
the most difficult part of the job was getting the beast from pickup truck
into the house. Stove is pictured in my avatar.

Good thread btw but I agree, a poll would have been easier to follow the numbers.

I had mine installed professionally. I knew it would take less time, and I would have fewer hassles from the insurance company (and the wife). It also didn't add all that much to the cost of the stove so I didn't bother trying it myself.

Things are a bit different on Prince Edward Island. I have a house that I put one in (St. Croix Afton Bay) and if you don't have a certified tech do the install, the insurance co. can refuse to insure you. I have heard of agents driving around looking for vent pipes and checking to see who did the install. An install, by the way, runs around $800 CAD( about $750 USD). That includes the vent pipe, but they won't do the thermostat. That's a DIY job or an electrician if you can't DIY.

I did my own. Horizontal vent.

I talked to the service dept at my dealer to get some questions answered and then did the install. Went pretty good including the hole for the thimble... I was afraid the holes wouldn't meet but they did.

Took about two hours not counting having to remove an old electric heater and using that wiring for my new wall plug.... pretty simple deal after you do the first one.

I didn't get a permit. I think my city only requires one for "permanent" upgrades, remodels, etc. None of their business what i do, anyway. When we had a new NG firnace installed the HVAC guy didn't have a permit, either.

I let my insurance company know about the stove when I renewed my policy. They like pellet stoves.

I did my own. I didn't want to, but I couldn't find anyone that would do it that had done it before and knew what they were doing. I got some really crazy suggestions on how they would go about doing it. I went through my existing chimney and out the back. I called my insurance company and told them and they said they would call me if they need to.

I installed mine in about one day. I t would of been faster but old house with screwed up framing set my back a while. I did not get a permit, I don't get a permit for anything the town can't see from the road. It is not hard at all just need to follow mfg. directions.

Installed my own, read the manual after I was done to see if I missed anything. Want to do the draft trim, just haven't brought home a Magnahelic yet. One of these days, when I find out what pellets I like. Permit??? Don't need no stinking permit!! Wife will tell the Ins. Co., I'm sure

Same. I installed my Insert. Pulled a permit and the Building Inspector came, Asked for the Manufacturers Booklet, Looked at the recommended st up and signed off. I had had a full Chimney Liner put in by an Expert and he looked at the paper work for that.
I also had to inform my Insurance company for my Homeowners policy.

Not a biggy. No increase in the premium and the Permit cost was negligible.

Installed both stoves myself, about to move one this weekend. no permit. Didn't even really consider it. Heck the state of maine is wacked on thier permit/ inspections anyway. For instance, NO electrical insp. here and a few other townships that I know of and have done work in. The electrician that I use for work purposes told me the law states in maine (or my town anyway)you can do your own electrical work yourself, as long as you live in the property for two years after and with-in that time nothing happens you are free and clear of liabilty... Insurance Company, thought about it but didn't call, I guess they still think I have a wood stove in the house.....

Installed both by myself. Checked with insurance company before buying, to make sure everything was fine. Extra $25 per year on homeowners policy. Did not need any inspection by locals. Business I purchased both stoves from, came out and inspected my installations to make sure that they follow manufacturer specifications. They liked both installations. Insert was more of a headache than the boiler was. Tore out LP fireplace and installed insert in its place. Had to have a custom surround made for insert to make it fit in the opening. Hardest part of the boiler was to get it into the basement by myself. Luckily, I have a walkout basement and an exterior service door going into the mechanical room. Both units are vented up out of the roof. Would I do it again? You bet. You get exactly what you want.

I did the hearth extension, wired the outlet on a new separate circuit, ran the thermostat wires through the walls and connected, got the chimney cap powder coated black, and modified the sheet metal block off panel that closes off the fireplace opening.

Had the stove shop guys install the stainless chimney liner ( as I had never worked with or even seen that material) and connect it to the stove.

Wanted to be sure the chimney part was correct for insurance purposes and peace of mind, also gtetting too old to climb the 10/12 pitch Cape Cod roof.

I'm on the 3rd stove and have done all 3. Including bouncing them down the basement stairs and back up when I send them away. The last 400 lbs. beast took 3 of us to get it down there. I'm getting to old for this crap. The next one I might site on the sofa and just watch.

I didn't do my own install, but could of, and should have. Either way a permit and inspection would be done. Ins. Co. notified.

Status
Not open for further replies.