Huge Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_in_NH

Jul 23, 2008
Chester, NH
Has anyone experienced pellets of this size. These are CleanFire from PelletSales.com. Caused a jam last night and the stove went out. Cold when we got up. Sent an email to company but haven't gotten a response...

Attachments

• Photo_110408_001-(3).jpg
    Photo_110408_001-(3).jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 988
I would call them up and complain. If they state that they meet the standards of the Pellet Fuel Institute then I believe that the PFI has a standard of 1-1/2" maximum length.

So it is true after all; size does matter ;-)

You occasionally see a large pellet that made it through QC, somewhere around th 1 1/2" range. Is the whole pallet like that?

Steve,

Some further research shows that the standard for premium pellets actually states the percentage of pellets that are longer than 1-1/2" must be less than 1%.

So there can be some. I guess you would have to pull all the long ones out and weigh them to see if they total more than 1% of 40 pounds.

I've found a few over the years that are huge in
all different brands.
Never a lot of them in a bag. This is the biggest
I've found to date.

Now this is huge:

newp.gif

I have a ton of Northeast Pellets from Ashland Maine that are long, and they do cause clogs. When sifting, i break them up.

sinnian said:
I have found that size isn't as much as an issue with these pellets, as is hardness. I have broken two Lovejoy couplings on these things!

This post cracked me up- size, hardness, lovejoy. Thought I was in the wrong forum for a minute or so. Good one, although, unintentional of course, I am sure.

zeta said:
Now this is huge:

newp.gif

Boy Zeta, you really have left yourself open to a good joke with that statement...but I'll just leave it to everyone else to imagine what I could say...... :lol:

I'm having the same problems with these pellets. This is my first year burning and around bag number 8 my auger started getting clogged. I've been fighting it for two weeks now. I'm burning some diferent pellets tonight, stove seems to be running perfect again. I got the cleanfire pellets from pelletsales.com as well. Right now I'm burning some Greene Gold from Lowes, my father in law swears by them. He's been using them for 3 years now. There is a definite difference. The Green Gold pellets are smaller and also break up more easily. I think the clean fire pellets are clogging because the auger can't break them up. I'll let you know if my stove makes it through the night.

I hope I find one that big someday. I will take a picture of it when I do. ;-)

zeta said:
I've found a few over the years that are huge in
all different brands.
Never a lot of them in a bag. This is the biggest
I've found to date.

Now this is huge:

newp.gif

ehh, ive seen bigger. :coolsmile:

My "CleanFire Northern Blend Premium Pellets" (from Pelletsales.com) seem to have broken TWO (separate occasions) 1/2" Lovejoy couplings on my feeder cup mechanics (yes, solid steel busted up!), and now have temporarily seized/stopped on TWO different motors to the feeder cup (yes, I had the original changed out) five different times ~ thus having five 'flameouts'.

My dealer has been trying to make good on all of this, as he has been at my house once per week for the past month and one-half replacing couplings, motors or complete feed assemblies, etc.

\phone rings// ***talks to dealer***

LOL :lol:

Seems as though the guys at Pinnacle are taking this personally and are having a "special" cup made for me with a carbide cutter. :bug:

And talk is, if THAT doesn't solve the issue, then it's time to tweak, i.e. supercharge, the motor :coolgrin:

Until then I'll just continue to stay positive, that the problem WILL be fixed eventually

Pellets this long are not premium grade pellets. Standard grade maybe, but not premium.

The biggest I ever found was 2.75 inches in a bag of Hamer's Huge Ones.

BeGreen said:
Pellets this long are not premium grade pellets. Standard grade maybe, but not premium.
Not always true most of mine this size were premium and PFI members... It happens....
I wonder if they will start saying more BTU's per pellet..........
"our pellets have 3 times the BTU's of the next leading brand".
FINE PRINT.
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
BTU comparison is based on a per pellet basis and not per pound
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.