Humidifier for pellet stove user?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

latichever

Apr 14, 2006
Now that I've started using a pellet stove I've noticed my indoor air has become significantly dryer. When I step out of the shower, for example, my hair is almost immediately dry. I also have a grand piano that doesn't like very dry air.

Because I have a stove that doesn't have a hot surface, a steamer is not an option. I'm going to do the research, but any experiences, thoughts and advice regarding humidifiers would be appreciated.

Merry christmas, I've noticed there are some decent posts on what people do with the lack of humidity during winter. I bought an indoor/outdoor with hygrometer gizmo from Radio Shack, $20. The humidity has gotten as high as 50% past month, low as 32%. I've compared some notes with others and the range seems to vary quite a bit. You'll read in the posts different folks do different things. I avoid using the bathroom fan when taking showers, had a whole house humidifier recently installed, and have an ultrasonic room humidifier in the living rm. where my wood insert is. So far so good, usually % in the high 30s, low 40s I think nature takes its course though, whatever measures I take will help but not solve everything.

Been doing a little research. Home humidifier is not an option, since I don't have ductwork, just radiators. Console models are very noisy. Can be as noisy as a vacuum cleaner. Among the table top types, evaporative models are also noisy and warm mist models are expensive to run. Haven't heard of the ultrasonic type, but will check it out.

I had baseboard heat in last house, brand new Peerless boiler, loved it, low humidity was never a problem. Maybe see what you are dealing with on hygrometer before any $$$ spent. The ultrasonic I'm running (Welbilt) has no filter, no heating element, I threw out my last Holmes because it was noisy and even with water additive it started to look like a petri dish inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.