Hutch metal heatform fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMA1908

Nov 10, 2007
western PA
I have a metal heatform firplace that was mfg by a company called Hutch. I have called the mfg and asked about installing a insert into this fireplace and they tell me that I cannot. I have visited many fireplace stores and some say yes and some say no. All I want is to gainj a little more heat out of the thing!
I have researched Wilkening Fireplace and they have a heat exchanger that seems to be built a little better than the great heaters on the market such as the cozy grate that stores are selling. Anyone have one of these? Can I install one of these in a heatform? I know there have been posts on this subject before but not specifically on Hutch brand who tells me not to do it.
Help!

Couple of issues here: The hutch manufacturer can not tell you a use that has not been tested and certified They are correct.

Now if an insert has a listing that it can be installed into a ZC fireplace ,it installation approval are based upon the merits of the insert's listed tested certification.

that takes care of the physical insert installation. Many inserts specifically state that they only can be installed in a certain UL listed ZC enclosure Others can only be installed in NFPA safe condition masonry fireplaces

Many ZC fire places are vented in to 1700 degree air cooled pipe Inserts and wood stoves require HT 2100 degree standard which !700 does not comply
A full insulated liner with the correct exterior ventilation collar will meet the standard required.

You can not install an insert in a zc that is only certified for masonry fireplace installations. Both answers you received are correct under the right listed tested conditions.

As for the heat exchanger grate thingy, Don't count on recovering too much heat.

A Hutch heatform is a masonry fireplace. It is just like the Superior and Heatilator heat-forms, a heavy steel box which replaces the firebox, damper and some other areas in a masonry fireplace. The manufacturer cannot tell you to install an insert, nor can they tell you not to. It would be like having your fireplace damper manufacturer or the firebrick maker telling you this.

If this fireplace is properly constructed (I suggest professional inspection), and is still in excellent shape - then it is equiv to a masonry fireplace and you have all of the same options. The UltraGrate is a decent "fireplace helper" which will really put out some BTU's. If you can do with a little less heat, try the Fireplace Radiator:
( http://www.gosalesinc.com/ ) - full disclosure - both companies are or have been clients of mine!

However, in my opinion you also can install any stove, fireplace insert, etc. that fits the fireplace and use. So I vote with the shops that say "you can do it".

Which you choose depends on budget and your needs.

Thanks for the reply I'm not trying to heat my whole house just when I burn I would like to get a positive effect (some heat return) I think the heat form sucks more warm air out of my house than it puts back in. A little better than a masonary fireplace because of the blowers but not much. The blowers are noisy too. Anyway the Wilkening seems like the ticket if it puts off the heat you suggest. Rather pricy though at 2,100.00. Not a lot of dealers in Western PA (one) would be nice to find a used one but I guess you have to pay to play right?

Rather pricy though at 2,100.00. 2,100.00 is a lot to pay to play! Seems like false economey. that price is well over the 1/2 of the cost of a new EPA clean burning set up.

Yes 2,100 is expensive but most of the inserts I liked were close to 4,500.00 when you take into consideration a two story re-line and installation costs

Status
Not open for further replies.