I am about to give up!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said, Welcome to the Forum! Unbelievably knowlegable and helpful folks here - I've learned an immense amount about wood burning from this site in the last several months. My 2 cents: in case you don't know, there is a 30% tax credit up to $1500 for new wood burning stoves this year (and last year) from the feds. So.....since you've indicated that you do plan to purchase a new stove - whatever your budget turns out to be, you can bump that budget up (assuming you can wait for the credit to come back!) and get a bit of a better stove. Think about your house in terms of insulation, size, etc., and be sure to consider a stove that is bigger than what you need. For example, if your house is 1500sqft, get a stove rated for heating around 2000sqft. The square footage ratings provided by the stove manufacturers are for ideal situations. Having a somewhat oversized stove will give you flexiblity and you won't be trying to run a smaller stove full tilt and running a risk of overfiring. If you budget allows, definately think about following the advice of the poster who recommend buying a couple years of wood right now. Could buy one years worth of 'seasoned wood' - should be ready for next year, and one green (unseasoned) load for the 2011/2012 season, which should be well seasoned by the time you need the wood. Then, keep ordering wood for burn seasons two years ahead - you'll love having a constant supply of well seasoned wood. Of course, budgets matter! Also - having seasoned wood is good as gold - if you eventually decide against burning, you can recoup all of the costs of the wood by selling the well-seasoned stuff - typically goes about as fast as any commodity can! Best of luck to you and I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.