I finally think I got it hot enough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mo381

Aug 3, 2011
North Central Indiana
This is our first year with a VC Winterwarm lg, first year burning wood for that matter.
Some of the things I have noticed is that after the few over night burns we have done, the glass soots up pretty bad both side towards the bottom in a triangle shape up each side.
I usually load up at night with walnut that is well seasoned (around 15%). I thought I was getting it going well but then turning it down to about 1/3 on the air.
tonight I had it going pretty hot and the glass was clearing up some and with the air turned all the way down it continued to have strong flames and the cat was going great. Then due to the heavy snow we got, the power went off and it continued to burn stronger with out the blower going.
I noticed the Rutland thermo I stuck on the front of the stove was higher than I have ever seen it read (250-300F) on the surface just about the door and levers.
I noticed some new smells and metal popping a small amount but nothing was glowing.

The power came back on after about 20 minutes so I cranked up the blower and it cooled slightly, so I opened the damper just to see how quick it would slow for future reference.

Now my questions are- Did I finally get it were it actually needs to be to burn right? The glass didn't clear all the way up, but did clear some.
Is there a better place to mount or get a temp reading on a VC Winterwam? Should I just get an IR them and try to aim it in the narrow gap back towards the flue?

Thanks

Check your glass to make sure it is tightly attached. Another member just posted about finding that theirs had loosened up a little. Check to make sure all your door/glass gaskets are clean and sealing properly, those triangular soot marks make me think you have a couple of small leaks...

Can you look at the gasket and tell if it is leaking. The bottom door gasket appears dark compared to the gaskets the rest of the way around.
The insert was serviced by the installer prior to us buying the house including new gaskets, cat, and glass. I will do the $ bill test and check the glass tightness tomorrow when I cool it down. Maybe some pics would help also.
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.